Advantages of winterizing?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nedo, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I have some friends who have boats and have never ever winterized them since they've owned them. They said when they go to use it in the spring they have no problems at all. What advantages do I have if I do winterize. Is it bad for the motor not to do it?

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Sooner or later that is going to catch up with them! Putting stabe in the gas and running it thru the crabs will keep the gas in the carbs from turning to lacquer. Which can cause the carbs to gum up, making starting in the spring hard or not start @ all. Spraying fog in the cyl.s will keep your rings from sticking and changing the lower unit oil will let you see if any water has got in the lower unit. Plus if you have water in the unit it can freeze and bust the housing.
    There are people on this board that know alot more than me and will come up with other ideas.
    Thats my 2 cents.
    Bill

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You about said it all.

There's trailer bearings to consider also.

4. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I guess the trailer bearings would depend on how often you trailer. When I go away, its 4 hours max, and when I stay local I'm going 45min away max. How often would you think that the bearings would need to be replaced? Does anybody have a DIY guide for winterizing? I will be winterizing a 96 40hp evinrude if it helps.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe Bubbakat posted a pretty good article just a few weeks ago about how to winterize your boat/motor. May want to check the threads in the boating sections. Maybe the mods will do a sticky thing on this for a few weeks.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get to the front of your carbs by removing silencer-cover.
    Hook a hose to your water intake .

Crank and let engine warm-up, with motor running at fast idle;increase speed slightly spray a couple ounces of Fogging oil into each carb as motor runs.
    When it starts to choking down real good then stop engine.
    Remove the spark plugs and spray some in each cylinder; turn flywheel by hand a few times.

Change the lower-unit lube and remove prop, grease shaft and all other fitting and lube points.
    BE SURE to leave your motor in vertical or down position so water won't lay in there and freeze.
    Put your battery inside shop and charge it now and then.
    I fill my fuel tank and add proper amount of fuel stabilizer to it for the winter.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Its not the fact of replaceing the bearings when serviceing for winter its the fact of when you unload your boat you dunk your bearings in the water. Water can intrude into bearings in the wheels without little notice until you lay it up for the winter and it freezes them. That is why it is important to do a repack every fall that way you can find any problem before it cuts a spindle off or wears a hub out prmeturely.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Although Oklahoma is not really a northern climate, water sometimes freezes in the winter. It don't take much in an open boat for water to find a little crack, freeze, and make a bigger crack. I purchased about $10.00 worth of 3/4" pvc pipe, fittings and a 16' X 10' tarp from Wal-mart and made this to cover the boat.

Attached Files:

9. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    That's exactly what I had in mind. My flat bottom came with wood floors in it and I don't want them to rot out so I was thinking of rigging up some sort of pvc tent to keep the water out. Guess that will be a good project for this week. Thanks

10. KajunPCB

KajunPCB New Member

State:
    Panama City Beach,Fl.
    the best advantage of winterizing is having a working motor to bring you catfishing next summer. :big_smile: