Advantages Of Pre-Tieing Hooks!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 16, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Have you ever been frustrated trying to retie hooks when on the water? Or have you been out there in the middle of the night fishing, to break off and have to try to tie a sufficient knot with a lack of proper light to see. Pre-tieing knots have made life alot easier for me since I started. I mostly fish a three-way rig for cats whether its flatheads or channels. So it only makes sense to have some of these ready so its not only quicker, but easier to retie when needed. I spent some time today snelling some hooks up for this upcoming season. I leave around a foot to fifteen inches of line, so when adding later to my 3-way swivel, or even a barrel swivel I have plenty of line to tie the knot, and can even shorten it up to my likings more. I like to tie these in bundles of 5-10. I then take a rubberband around the group, securing the bundle of hooks. When I need a hook, it makes it easy to pull the hook out of the rubberband without having to undue the entire bundle.:wink: The line slips through the band, and I'm ready to add to the swivel. I don't add the swivels to the leaderline, because the hooks seem to hang up in them making for a mess in the bag. Either way, it still makes it easier to retie a rig when needed. I keep these in 1 gal. freezer zip-lock bags, and like to seperate my bags of hooks for each type of fishing I do. I made a bag up today for channel cats, which has a variety of different sized hooks for fishing different kinds of bait, whether it be chicken livers, cutbait, or small livebaits. I also made a bag up today and labeled it circles. I have a variety of sized circles in that bag as well. I also write on the bag the hook sizes it contains, the year ( for reference later on when tied) and, the lb. test line. Makes for an easy way to look through if you have a few of these bags of pretied hooks in your tackle box.. It also keeps your terminal tackle lighter and smaller, by not having to carry boxes of different hooks etc. If you don't carry a tackle bag, a 5 gal. bucket with a lid makes for a great catbox for most people. Throw these bags of pretied hooks in and your a step ahead for when you need them. Here is a few pictures explaining how I bundle them and store them... goodluck....rollo

Attached Files:

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow, 40 pound mono leader! How big is your mainline? Thanks for the post and the pics. Good Stuff. I need to perfect my snelling and tie up a bunch. You motivated me....josh

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use a snelled hook holder, specifically made for pre-made leaders. Coupla bucks. Works real good with my 60# fluorocarbon leader material.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    "I could not agree more" - You don't want to get out there on the water "at night" & have to waste time & try to tie the "Perfect Knot" - that something that you want to do at home - before the trip - where you can take your time & do it right.
    :wink:

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I took my exwife fishing once. I asked her to help me get set up but the skeeters swarmed her and she started flailing uncontrolably within 5 seconds and I started laughing uncontrolably in about the same time. I guess that's why I payed so much child support LOL. So yes it pays to prepare ahead of time for me because by about august the bugs will torture you if you're holding a flashlight while tying on a hook. I've invented some new swear words in those situations but I can't repeat them here.:crazy:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use mainlines that match the leaderline to the hook, or leaderlines that are bigger than the mainline. I like to have the comfort of a larger diameter mono to the hook for abrasion reasons. My reels I spool with 30lb. Big Game, I run the 40lb. leader/hook.. However, when I fish my braid outfits for on the lakes such as Power Pro 65lb. I still use the mono leaderline for a shock absorber, and to save losing many yrds of braid often.. Catfish aren't shy of diameter of line, and I feel better having a larger diameter line around the heavy structure I often fish... If I was to ever go to a lighter mono for river fishing, say 20 to 25lb. test. I would still use a 30lb. or 40lb. diameter mono leaderline to the hook... Just my opinion, and what I like for most 3-way fishing I do...rollo

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Great advice...........i just need to learn how to snell a hook !!!

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Can anyone show me how to tie a snelled hook ???

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    It looked like a bait shop in the background behind you there is that your secret laboratory:smile2: that's where the magic happens brothers to my left

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats where I do alot of my work.. Every cat guy needs a work bench and his area away from everyone else!:wink: rollo

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    After 3 years of saving my older brother's butt from the law I'm movin out the 1st of next month and I'll have my own area like that again where I can have peace and quiet to work on my fishing equipment,it's gonna be like heaven

12. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Makes alot of sense. Thanks I'm still learning. Not new just a little slow I guess!:wink:

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I use 65#test braid with 40#mono shock leader you always want the leader material to be weaker than the mainline so you don't lose as much more expensive braid line

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason congrats on organization and good planning for any night on the water.

15. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the info.Ps ,I once left my tackle on my work bench,And my kids threw it all over the garge.An little Randy once tryed to eat a bass lure .So now I keep my stuff in the shed.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A lure? LOL.. I have heard of kids eating money, but a bass lure!!:smile2: :crazy: Funny, and scary! rollo

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I adopted Big Georges tackle organization and hook storage and my life has been much easier since :cool2:
    Instead of putting them all in 1 big freezer bag, spent a couple bux for the little individual bags for single hooks.. Then put all those into a "worm" bag, separated out by hook size....

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    forgot the pics :)

Attached Files:

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I clip a piece of paper to put in the little bags and put one pre tied hook on each side of the paper to= 2 hooks per bag.

20. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm not that organized all of my hooks are in a plastic box intermingled the more it shakes up:smile2: gama 8/0 team catfish 8/0 eagle claw 8/0 vmc8/0 I have a variety though:wink: