Advantages of a custom bow string.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Txbluecatman, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Okay brothers, I am shooting a PSE Nova set at 60 lbs @ 30 inch draw. I've had the bow for about a year now. I normally shot it about 5 days a week. I wax the string before every pratice session. I have been told by a pro shop that you are supposed to change the string out every year. Is this true? If so what are the advantages to using a custom string rather then a OEM replacment?

2. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Sounds like you take good care of your string!

I have been told to replace the string after 1000 shots.

I bought my Hoyt in 2000 and replaced the string in 2003 and the string and cable a couple years ago and it had well over 1000 shots on it both times. I would check for wear on the string around the cams and the loops that conect the string to the cam. Look for seperation of the serving and fraying. (sp?) If it looks good I'd leave it alone.

My first replacement string was a Mathews Zebra string (didn't care for it, it wore faster then the OEM one) and my replacement string and cable are Winners Choice. I like the Winners Choice.

I did have a custom bowstring built by the owner of the proshop on my old bow but never really thought it was any better then a store bought one.

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis

4. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    There is a new product out called SCORPION VENOM you can get several diferent products,it was recomended to me when i bought my custome strings,i really like it myself! it collects very little dust if any unlike the wax stuff.might be somthing to cosider if hunting in dusty conditions or if you transport you bow on an atv without the case.quite a bit more exspensive than wax but worth it in the long run,IMO

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First and foremost, never over wax the bowstring! This can cause more damage to the string than under waxing it. Alot of manufactures require to wax the string every 2 weeks under normal shooting conditions. I usually wax the string on my bow once a month close to hunting season or when it feels dry. Just a thin layer is all that's required. Rub it in with your fingertips. If you feel that you over waxed it, take a piece of dental floss and wrap it aroung the string. Go up and down the string to take the excess wax off.

Many of the newer bows are fitted with custom strings. Some come packaged with Winners Choice and my Hoyt comes with a custom Fuse string. These strings come pre-stretched and allow for minimal stretch and no peep twist. My bow requires that the replacement string should be a Fuse string because of the diameter of the string. Using a string of a different diameter could cause damage, because of the way the string rides in the grooves of the cams. Always check for the manufactures recommendations before going with a custom string!!

Hope this helps.
    Mark..

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I replace mine every 15 years, whether it needs it or not!!!:big_smile:

7. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info, brothers.