Adopt-a-Steamplant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Clovis, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    So, I was fishing down at Cumberland City Steam Plant, and was overwhelmed at the amount of trash tha accumulates on/in the rocks.

Me hauling off a bucket full when I leave is not putting a dent in it.

Reckon anyone would be interested in getting over there as a group sometime and combing the rocks picking up trash, then fishing of course.

Just a thought.

What do you all think about a BOC adopt-a-steamplant?

Steve

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd do it if I had one close to home. But if I was out there for the weekend or something I could make it work.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Clovis thats a good suggestion and when I'm in the area we could all get together and make a dint in it anyway

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would be willing to do it if I lived somewhat closer. I was down there this past friday and the people that fish there are pigs. I have never seen a place so trashed out as that one.
    Mono line laying all over the place, jig wrappers, old jigs, paper bags, and dead skipjack all over the place.
    Real sportsmen don't do this to a place. The powerplant could close it off and not allow anyone to fish there if it keeps up. I have seen this happen a few times and it is a shame that people can't pick up after themselves.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    ya, i'll pitch in over there.

I too have carried out a bit of trash a few times, not a lot though. The place seems like a landfill at times... it's almost overwhelming how much crap gets left. I have also wondered if TVA might some day close that area off due to the "landfill" look. :angry:

I have 4 days off from the 29th of dec to the 2nd of jan and the 3 day weekend of Christmas. The best day for me would probably be the 29th...but if no one else "signs up" i'll meet ya over there Clovis and we can at least put a dent in it. It's about an hour drive for me.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Steve and Robert, I'm off work the week of Christmas and was planning on going to the steamplant for some skipjack one or two days later that week. If yall want to meet up and do a little skipjacking and some litter control lets see if we can come up with a day we could all meet up. Robert, the 29th would probably be a good day for me also.

7. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    How bout the 30th. That is a saturday which would be better for me, otherwise I couldn't get there till like around 5:30pm.

Thoughts?

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    They have threatened to do just that. I think it was back in about 1995 that they actually closed it for a few weeks because it was so bad. Summer months and the smell of the dead skipjacks and drum was terrible. I'd come help if I could, but I have plans for everyday this week and next it seems. It's gonna take a lot more than one trip to clean that place up. You'd think that with all the money TVA makes, they'd hire a team twice a year to take care of it.

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Steve, I could make it the 29th or 30th. I believe Robert said the 29th would be better for him, so yall pick a date and I'll do my best to be there. I'm about a 50 min. drive from the steamplant, just far enough to be aggravating, but not too far away to be there on a short notice. Just let me know what yall decide on.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Some Folks just don't get it ! Sad,Sad,Sad, J.D.
    :cry:

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i can do either friday or sat...i will just adjust my fishin plans accordingly. I only have 11 days left for fishin this year! yikes :eek:oooh: LOL

Was gonna get bait on friday and spend sat on the water over near cheatham dam. I can still get bait on friday, do the cleanup thang, but drag the boat over and fish that area instead. It's a good cause either way.

we have several days to nail it down

cyas
    robert

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    by the way, if any of you folks over in Clarksville want a ride to pitch in, catch bait or fish or whatever...i can pick up 2 folks on the way over, dependin on how this works out. Will probably have my boxer with me, unless it's cold.
    I drive across 76 from I-24 to get over there.

cyas
    robert

13. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I would be coming from Paris so anyone between me and there would be more than welcome to ride over with me.

I may bring the boat as well and do a little fishing afterwards.

I have several bags of skippies in the freezer already.

Can never have too many though.

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I live way too far to help out your situation but....

Locally there is a place called Walnut Creek. Its a 35 acre plus man-made lake created a few years ago. They spent millions creating this lake, with lots of structure and a nice place to go hang out. Picnic areas, a walking path all the way around the lake, a playground for kids, but no trash cans. None.
    There is even a caretaker that lives there and he locks the place up at night, and then opens it up in the morning. But the place is starting to look like a landfill. They have signs as you drive in with a picture of a trash can in a circle bar. Another sign says "Pack in, Pack out". But I feel that if trash cans were provided, there would be a lot less garbage floating and flying around. I always spend time when I fish there cleaning up other peoples messes. Its disgusting! Worse yet, I see alot of adults leaving their trash behind on purpose.

Kenny

15. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sounds like a great idea, but dont think I could go... good luck if this happens, tight lines and big loads of trash to you...

16. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    We still on for some clean up Saturday Morning, and then some fishing?

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clovis what you BOC brothers are planning is a great deal and will be good Public Relations. I would like to give you a second idea. In most areas of each state there are prisons. These prisons have outside work crews that do what you are talking about. The warden are Supt. of that prison can be contacted and a request be made to have a cleanup done two or three times per year.The tax payer is already paying the bill. You have a good idea and I hope I can add to it.

18. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    That is a good idea.

I'll see what I can come up with to do something like this local and see how it goes.

I know I see the county jail inmates around here cleaning up and down the streets. But will have to do some research on the county where the steam plant is.

Thanks for the idea.

Steve

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I may be coming down there this Saturday.. The 30th. I will be glad to help out some, I need more bait for the freezer!!!

20. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    ok...saturday it is then! any thoughts on time?

I will try and make it over around sun-up..7 am-ish

cyas
    robert