Adjusting to the river stage

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Aug 14, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We finally had some decent rain! well needed rain at that. i made it out the other night for a few hours to do some fishing on the muskingum river. the water probably got back to what i would call normal stage, or just a bit above. while sitting in a favorite spot i was thinking to myself about the past few seasons. thinking about all the different nights out on the river either in tournaments or just fishing, i started thinking about water conditions some high, some sky high, and the lower ones we have had this year. i then started to think of areas or spots that i have fished heavily the last few years, that haven't been much acccount this year due to the lower water levels. as i sat there alot of different patterns to how and where i caught some of these flats and channels really started to occur to me. actually now that i think about it, nearly every area i caught fish when the water was high are spots i haven't even had a chance to fish. for ex. 2 yrs. ago we had high water nearly all summer, caught many nice fish that yr. most of them were on flooded sandbars with exposed grass...the only thing your gonna catch there now is a raccoon late at night, or a bankfisherman lol. another area is where you may have a long straight section of river raging from bank to bank, then a bend..the river channel obviously pushing hard around the corner, but the inside of the bend was a slack water area, that acted like a staging zone from the current for the fish...it was a hotspot!! areas i don't fish much now. anyways, i think you get the point.. i guess what im getting at here, don't limit yourself to one area or a few spots, or only fish when you think the river right. be safe by all means! But, the fish will feed in high and low water conditions. sometimes it can be easier in high water conditions to find numbers of fish stacked up. look for different current, eddies, slack water, etc. that are created by the higher levels, and don't be affraid to fish on the banks or new spots you usually don't fish. so be versatile, and adjust to how and where to fish when needed. goodluck to everyone for the remainder of the fishin months...rollo

2. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yea, I've been rolling these same thoughts around in my head too. I'm gonna start being more mobile since I'm fishing from a boat anyway. No more complacency. If they're not hittin' in 30 min or so, I'm headin' to my next spot. Next time I'm in Marietta, I'm going to try some spots on the OH that I've never tried before. I also gotta find some good spots for bullhead. The last time I went, I took two of 'em. Fished one for several hrs and he was kickin' just as hard 4 hrs after I put 'im on the hook as he was when I first hooked 'im. Man, they're a kickin' bait fish!! Never stopped movin' for a second!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, i like to move around alot, unless im on them. i would not try to time each area the same, as you know some places are better than others.. maybe move more quickly through the ones that have seemed to be only a one or two fish spot. thats what i do. but, sit on the hole that has produced for you in the past, until you really get that gut feeling it isn't gonna happen for you that night...you know what im talkin about jason:smile2:...rollo

4. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good point, and that's usually what we end up doing. Hey, what's up with not being able to get any closer to the tailraces than we can on the OH? Kinda sucks! Think I'll start a new thread with this one.