Adjusting to cold water

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Nov 27, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How long does it take for the cats to adjust to the colder temps? Last few times I went I had no luck at all. When should they start biting?

2. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I went out Saturday, the water was 41 degrees. Caught only one smallish channel. 41 degrees in the spring is a great time, but near winter? I don't know!

3. catfishinginky

catfishinginky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was wondering the same thing last week here it was 60 degrees now it is 30* i was planning on going tomorrow but i have heard to give it at least a couple days even longer but if u fish on the bottom with about a ft of lead line friends say we should be alright, i think i will try it tomorow and let ya' l know, hope this helps in anyway.

if it is to big to reel in swim out and knock it in the head never give up:lol:

4. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    what kind of bait is best to use when the water is cold?

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Cut bait is best to use in cold water conditions better than the commercially prepared baits.

The saying is that the fish never stop eating, you just have to follow the fish basically. Fishing deep is generally the key. If you are on a boat the use of a fish finder to locate bait schools and also submerged tree's/ logs and drop offs is key to locating winter cats in deep water. Bank fishing in the winter times seems to not be as productive than fishing in boats unless the bank spot is close to a significant dropoff close next to or close to deep water. I have found my best times to be early morn and eve during the winter time and pretty much various times of the day on overcast and rainy days.