adjusting a baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by switchback, Jul 31, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I learned this from watching bass fishing on friday nights on the outdoor channel. The pros say to properly adjust your brakes, tension what ever you want to call it. You reel the rig of choice to six inches from the top of your reel. Then push the button if it falls quickly stop it and tighten your brakes and start again you want the the reel to stop spinning on its own when the rig hits either the boat bank or water whatever the rod tip is over. This can be a pain at first cause not every piece of bait is the same size but once you have gotten used to a baitcaster you can adjsut close and wing em out there. I have ben using one for over ten years and still have a birdnest everynow and again. Another thing you might try with and without bait cause obviously the bait adds weight to the rig and tht will cause problems if you dont adjust for that.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nathan you have mastered the bait caster well. The only thing I would add is: When casting into the wind set your tension a little more stiff.

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah i just noticed i forgot that that is my mian thing about baitcasters,and only problem with them