adjusting a baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 15, 2009.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have an abu garcia low profile baitcasting reel I picked up from kmart for $50 idk the model number or anything, its grey. I spooled it with 14lb trilene line mounted on an ugly stick, its a spinning rod but I put the baitcaster on it. Anyway I turned the star thing next to the reel all the way tight, I guess thats the drag? and I can still easily pull line out of the reel, im afraid if I get a bite and go to set the hook, ill miss him cuz the line will just come out, how do I make it tighter? or harder to pull line out of the reel? thank you.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If the drag isn't holding First thing I'd do is take it back to K-Mart and get me another reel.That just isn't right.Won't do you much good like it is.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Try tightening it the other way. It will tighten against the handle when it is all the way loose, and then it will tighten the other direction when the drag is tight. I sometimes get the direction backward for which way to tighten the drag. The direction to tighten should be the same direction you turn the handle to reel in. If it doesn't work then you should definitely take it back.

Unless they left parts out of the reel at the factory (or somebody removed them ) it should tighten down.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Might check and see if the line is spinning around on the spool...could be slipping on the spool,,,

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    they said no refunds and I cant take it back, what the heck? ill try messing with it.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont think his line is spinning around the spool he got screwed over thats, bs man, oh well it happens

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,,d talk to the store manager or higher if need be.Talk to someone from Co. headquarters if you have to.Don,t take no for an answer.:angry:

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    well it doesnt come out easy, the drag is turned all the way tight but I can still pull line out if I try. the line might be slipping, I just triple knotted it on cuz idk hwo to tie it on anyother way.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    If it's not coming out very easily, it may be tight enough. You don't want it too tight or you'll break your line. The drag is designed to let line out so you don't break it. Remember that with the rod bent over it probably takes 3 or 4 times more force to pull the drag out than it does to pull it straight out of the reel.

Mono shouldn't slip on a spool. The knot you tie shouldn't make much difference either. I've know guys that don't even tie the line on the spool.

I would get the schematics that came with the reel, take the drag apart, and make sure all the parts are there. If not, call the manufacturer. They may send the parts to you for no charge, or if they charge you, it shouldn't be that much. If you don't have schematics, you should be able to find them online somewhere, probably on the manufacturer's website.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Sounds like the line is slipping around the spool . Try respooling it but make sure you tie it on the spool better .

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    righty tighty lefty loosy.... To see if your drag is working try looking at the side of your spool. If the line is slipping the spool wont be moving. Is the reel engaged the drag wont work unless the reel is engaged no matter how tight it is.:0a26:

12. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    any links to knots I should be using.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I can't remember the link, but, there is a site,, called, Grogs animated knots..
    It's been helpful.. has a bunch of knots,, Tieing themselves...:smile2:

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    You need to go up to Kmart and get loud, i have bought so much stuff from WAL mart they ALWAYS take things back used open doenst matter as long as u have the recepit.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  16. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    i had that problem when I first put braid on my 6500, thought it was a drag problem but my reel mechanic set me straight on backing up the braid with mono or tape.