Adjustable main line/anchor line, how does that work?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by verrykerry, Oct 4, 2009.

1. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think I set my jugs up the way a lot of people do, tho I am new at it I just studied it and did what seemed logical at the time. My main line is tied to the pvc noodle on one end and a 3-4# anchor on the bottom end. I've made loops at intervals and attached hooks to the loops. Did moderately okay like this so far. I see some people add leaders instead of attaching hooks directly to the loops which are looped out of the main line. I'm wondering if there is an advantage to having the leaders?

Also,

The thing is, every time I go out I only manage to set 8-10 jugs because I'm constantly re-rigging them due to different depths I'm setting em' at. I know there has to be a nifty idea out there to make an adjustable main line to adjust for different depths.
    What's the secret?

Lastly, is it okay to use a nylon trotline type braid for the mainline or should it be a high poundage monofilament?
    Thank you sirs,
    Kerry in Mckinney TX

2. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    well, I guess i overstated the obvious you could probably find a way to shorten the line by wrapping it around the noodle or something like that but it seems low tech. I just thought someone would have a method for an easily adjustable main line. nevermind.

Thanks,
    Kerry

3. kyhunter

kyhunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Kerry i am not as experienced as some of the members here but i will share how i rig my jugs.I have always used nylon braid for the main line and never had any problems with it.I buy it at walmart and its cheap.I use the black #18 dropline thats rated at 113 lbs.Use a lighter or candle to melt the ends after cutting to keep it from unraveling.I also use a 3 way swivel and run my anchor line off 1 eye and i run a monofilament leader/line off 1 eye with a circle hook.I found a neat way to adjust the depth of the main line.I use a caribener ring.You can buy them for about 50cents apiece at walmart and they work great.I tie them on just below the jug.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope this post helps.

4. NoodlesForPrez

NoodlesForPrez New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Kerry, I have the easiest way to use an adjustable depth for your main line. I use noodles with the eyebolt in the end of one of the endcaps. Wrap your main line around the pvc & tie an arbor knot & then wrap it around another 4 or 5 times & repeat the knot. Let the main line hang loose, adjust the depth of the line to your liking, put a small loop in the line, put it through the eyebolt & wrap it back over the eyebolt & the line will go nowhere.