Adhesives

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Katmandeux, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This isn't really a boat motor problem, it just happens to be on one, if that makes any sense.

Here's the deal: I have a one year old Nissan ob, and the adhesive holding the gasket onto the motor hood has failed. It was originally installed with what appears to be two-sided foam sticky tape, which will not come off of the rubber gasket, and won't adhere to the molded plastic hood.

I though, no prob, just a dab or two of silicone, and I'll be good to go. I was wrong. So far, I've tried silicone and contact cement, and can't get anything to bond to the foam tape.

Worst case, I guess I can rivet the gasket in place, but that will look awful, and I really don't want to go there.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    good morning Dave. Hey I don't know how much flat area you have to work with, but if I have something like that that needs sticking. I use a double stick tape, that I got at the auto parts store. It's a red colored tape and believe me it works great. you will have to work to get it to come apart again if you use to much. Hope this helps

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well ,Dave I would try good ole weatherstrip adhesive from the local parts store. The problem now is that you tried with silicon. This ain't good as silicon is a substance that wont let any thing adhere to it except one thing,more silicon. good luck.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The trim adhesive is a good idea. it'll stick to anything smooth or rough. good point reload made about the silicone. make sure you use a wax and silicone remover,or a lot of rubbing alcohol. silicone leaves a nasty hard to remove residue. 3m makes the weatherstrip and trim adhesive in black now too. so you dont have to use the yellow stuff.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    So, there's a product specifically for wax and silicone removal? Is it a NAPA type item?

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    yep dave they call it prepsol wax and silicone remover the name may vary from state to state in napa stores but any good auto parts store should have it auto body shops use it alot to prep for painting

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This place is great...you guys know some stuff!

8. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The best adhesive/ sealant I've ever used is 3M 5200 marine sealant. You must start with a clean surface like everything but it is incredible. Just don't plan on removing it easily. Search 3M marine sealant they have lesser strength stuff designed for disassembly.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    If its only a year old I sure would be taking it back to the dealer.
    So what if you tried to fix it yourself you were doing them a favor.
    have a good one
    just

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Richard hit the nail on the head, weatherstrip adhesive, aka gorilla snott. The silicone is going to be your biggest problem now, it will have to be cleaned off physically and chemicaly, in order for the gorilla snott to work.