Additional Truman spillway info

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Wiggins, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Okay guys..........Scott was good enough to give me a hint as to sites that might give information on flow rates at the Spillway at Truman and dang if he wasn't right!

I've got both of them and if anyone wants em.... holler at me... (well don't holler, I probably won't hear you). Just drop me a note that it's something you want and I'll send them to you or post them. There's also information on where to find the Lake of the Ozarks flow rates which would have an effect on the truman water. So even if Truman isn't flowing for the turbines, if the LOA is flowing....... follow me?

I'm also working on a way to deliver baited hooks to the channel without dislocating your shoulders! (sometimes I hate being an engineer) Not that I mind flingin 6 to 10 oz.'s of weights and bait, but gheesh wouldn't it be nice to drop your bait dang near dead on where you want it? Just had an epiphany..... while watching the water today and I'm going to build one and see if it works.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If it's a bait boat you are thinking about, beware that they are illegal down there. There are probably other ways to skin that cat though, such as a balloon rig with a lifesaver that can be floated out, dropping your sinker when the lifesaver has dissolved.

Sorry to "presume" on your plans, I may well be wrong, I just didn't want you to get too invested in it if that's what you were thinking.

3. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't actually know what a bait boat would be. You mean like a motorized model boat? If so.... nope... no motors here. It would be more like a planer board (adjustable rudder angle) with a quick release. Only thing I need to determine is average current speed over several days and times to set angle of rudder and the cost shouldn't be over 8 to 10 bucks. Please tell me that something like this isn't illegal because I darn sure don't want to be breaking any laws.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dan, I think you are just fine if it isn't motorized. No problems with fancy bobbers :wink: One thing about that area below the dam, it's one of the most popular places in the state for both fishermen and conservation agents.

5. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well, I guess in a manner of speaking it would be a bobber for a bit.
    I just get a kick out of trying new things that make my time at the lake more enjoyable. And a couple of times while flinging that dang 3 oz weight, I'd watch the hook and weight go one way and the perch go another. Now I wouldn't have that issue if it was a cut bait, but I'm a die-hard live bait nut.
    That's what got me thinking about this way to present the bait. Just need an old reel with a retrieval line. Also have to be able to adjust the rudder depending on the side on want to fish from. A right handed board wouldn't work on the right side of the slough. Rudder would also have to be large enough to displace more water than the total weight of the bait/weight total and centered on the board to keep it from causing tail drag off of center. That's where the flow rate of the normal current comes in.
    You did get me thinking for a moment though. I have a 1/8 scale p-52 remote... now wouldn't that be a sight.... a nut flying a perch over the spillway.

Now if someone will promise to bring me a snickers bar at the Sheriff's office and call my relatives back in Kansas to come get me out!

6. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    sorry guys didn't post those sites for you to have for flow rates and dates.

Only thing......These rates are subject to change without any notice.... but their suppose to be a 3-day forecast from whatever date it is when you log into it. There are three sites. (2) for Truman and 1 for LOA.

Lake of the Ozarks (owned by Ameren EU)
    http://www.ameren.com/HydroElectric/Reports/Osage/HSTBagnellDaily.aspx

Truman Sites:
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.fct

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/ht/daily.cfm

Sorry I didn't do this immediately. Been carving on a block of wood.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Those web sites give estimates and "planned" releases but seldom reflect the actual release rate at any given moment. You can't count on the information to tell you anything other than a general idea of whether they'll be releasing water and a very rough guess at how much.

In times of high water and (especially) at times of "normal" pool on Truman, the information is more likely to be accurate - they make sustained, long-term releases when it's flooding and little or no releases at normal pool. At all other times, however, they'll open and close turbines continuously during the day to meet fluctuating power demand and other other parameters (like controlling downstream flow).

I admire your tenacity in trying to apply an engineering solution to something as non-deterministic as fishing. Personally, I'd rather just go fishing than work it all out on paper in advance... :wink:

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
  9. MOcatfish

MOcatfish Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are 2 phone #s for releases through the dam they dont give u flood gates but it does tell u how many turbines they will be running and when. I have had a place on the lake for 10 yrs and call every time i'm going down..
    VERY HELPFUL...NO WATER = BAD FISHING..:sad2:
    toll free 866-494-1993 or 918-595-6779

It will go through is speech and then ask u what site u want. Just say truman and it will ask u what day ( today, tomorrow, or next day).. It is the best way i have found to tell if u will have current and when.. Save to your phone it is a time saver...

Hope this helps you out...

10. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Cook?

That's not far off base on the idea, but with three slight differences:
    I want it to be able to float a 3oz weight with a live perch under it without the perch dictating where it goes.
    And,
    I want to be able to release the baited hook/weight when I reach the desired distance from "where ever" I am.
    Last.
    I'm going to have to be able to adjust the rudder to compensate for whatever the flow-rate of the current is. Don't want to release this thing from shore to have it 1/4 mile downstream of where I want it dropped.

Marty might just have a point.... just go fishing and give my brain a nap!
    Oh and Wayne.... thanks for the numbers appreciated here.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009