Adding Tachometer and maintenance

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by my4x4awd, Oct 31, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Now that the old 1986 Evinrude 70hp is rebuilt and running strong, I want to keep it that way. I have a new warning horn, all TSB updates and a full rebuild. I didnt cut any corners and am breaking it in with the New VRO and a 50:1 mix. Old book said 25:1 new said 50:1 with VRO. What other preventive measures should I take by adding a pressure guage, temp guage or tach. Since I don't kow if the rpms are correct, Im not sure if the 13X19 prop is correct for the boat. I have the OMC manual and wiring diagrams but it doesnt mention any place for a tach. Can someone help? Bubba, you have built a 70 rude any ideas?

Craig

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Craig that engine does its best at 5800 rpm's It can cruse at 48 to 5500 without any problems at all. I would get a tach on it as soon as possible because it can drop r's real quick and not be that noticeable.

I like the pressure gauge because it can tell you long before the heat horn goes off if you are having cooling problems or not. Just keep some good fuel stablizer in it and run it like it was meant to do. That is one thing about a 2 stroke it doesn't hurt them to be run

3. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Bubba, where can I find out how to wire the tach. Also are they expensive?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not to steal Bubba's or Bob Paul's thunder, but my buddy, Fuzzface, has a 1984 70HP. There is a wire in the control box for a tach. You simply have to get a tach (around $55.00) at Calaeba's (SP), Bass Pro, or possibly even through your local auto parts store as the majority of them do supply marine parts. It is a simple matter of mounting the unit, running a ground wire, and connecting to the wire in your control box.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I have a tach on our boat but it isn't hooked up and I am going to try to hook it up here soon. I know our motor isn't turning the right RPMs.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, let me know when the water's down and we can hit those swimming holes. I'll come help you.:big_smile:

I'll bring that pump too. Dang, I keep forgetting to get to the post office. It just might beat me there.:roll_eyes:

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, you got a deal, you are welcome in our home anytime buddy. There is no telling what we might find in them swimming holes.