Adding more weight to a castnet

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by photocat, Mar 22, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I want to add more weight (alot) to atleast one of my cast nets. I know from the old site the basic principles of it but i wonder what those who have done it would do/ have done and what they would change if they were to do it again... What kind/style of weights, how much per foot, knot and line they used to attach the weights, etc... My goal is to get my net to sink a bit faster so that i can capture more bait.

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I would suggest saving the weights from an old cast net if you have one and using them. Just put on how ever many it takes untill you think it is too heavy.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This maybe a dumb comment or too obvious but Im sure that you will have to be careful and distribute your weight around the net so that it isnt lopsided. That would be a hard net to throw! lol....But your idea did help give me an idea to do the same thing because it would be nice to have one that sinks really fast.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    check your local laws but we use chain for weight back home and save the lead for fishing,

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I thought about it a little more and I would guess that maybe you would want the net to be maybe 50% heavier? If so, add new weights every 3rd spot. Such as....old....old....new....old...old...new, etc. around the circumference of the net. That would make it weighted even. If you think that is too heavy, mabe skip 3 or 4 each time. Either way, weights saved from and 1 old net would would retrofit at least 2 new ones.

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Gator,
    with the size of the cats here, we have to use our chain for fishing...lol

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    get some large rubber-core sinkers, take the rubber out, and mash them on where needed. i done it once before to a small cast net. it worked but was kinda lopsided when i threw it. i spaced them out like Catbird said too.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I still have my hand made nets.I bought from,and learned how to make and repair cast nets from the "Old Timers"That made them.I still have my shuttles (needles) and gauges.They all seemed to agree on the following.--To do it right,so that the net will cast the best.You will need to remove your lead line,with leads.Make up your old or a new lead line of the weight that you want.The weights must all be the same shape and weight.They must be evenly spaced around the lead line.REMEMBER !! The heavier the lead line,the faster it sinks.BUT !! Your net diamenter will be getting smaller faster,as it sinks.More speed puts more resistance on your mesh,which tends to pull your weights togeather faster.Less weight,means slower speed,less resistance,and larger diameter as it sinks.Water depth is the main deciding factor.The shallower the water,the more weight you can get away with.The deeper the water,the less weight,in relationship,as the net has more time to close up on you.Remember,that your net would allways be closed when it hit the bottom,if the water was deep enough.A cast net is allways closing very slowly as it sinks.Bottom net diameter,verse speed.It is a trade off.Now! The above is IF the mesh size,twine diameter,and twine materal are all the same.This is why your larger mesh mullet nets could be weighted much heaver than your shrimp and bait nets.I am repeating what the old net makers passed on.Most of these people had been in net making familys for generations.I believe them.peewee-williams

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yea!I can relate to that.Chain on a 6 inch diameter limb is what we use to catch the Gators when they are robbing your limb lines.I didn;t know that you had Gator trouble up there.peewee-williams

10. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Bryan, here's how I did it. It's about halfway down the post.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770

If you want to add a lot of weight, put one next to every existing weight. That could add up to 28 ounces if you use 1 oz rubbercores.
    Rat

PS: I've still got the net from that old post and it's still working fine.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Toss a few 12 foot nets with the chain on them and you would have been begging to be fishing insted....LOL