Adding Line to the Reel....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I just relined my reel for a tourny a couple of weeks ago, and while fishin' managed to get snaged several times. Since there is plenty of room to add line, is that ok, or do I need to take it all off and reline the whole spool?

Any feed back welcomed...

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    question do you need all the line , i mean can you or will you cast all the line off in one cast ?

i put line on my reels and use it until i cast and theres no line or my cast bottoms out the reel , then i remove whats left and respool .

the knot in the line is the weakest link

3. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I probably could not cast it off but with a good cast and a big run on top of that it could come to the end.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    then i would recomend replacing it all with new , like i said a knot would be your weekest link , good luck in what ever you do

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a bait caster. Open face reel. For me it works better when full cause of using my thumb to keep from back lash. I will use a filler line for 1/3 of reel and then attach my main for the rest. I just judge from cutting line off etc., as to when to re reel from filler line. I dont change my line every year. Buy good line, it will last longer than a year for me.
    I agree, knot is the weakest point. Most times I lost a fish due to line reasons was at knot or cheap line. That is why I hardly ever use a leader. Too many knots.
    Course if fishing for trophy, bigger fish, or ones with teeth,( Shark ) LOL , steal leader might be the way too go.. LMAO.

other reels, I spool whole reel.

thats just me .

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I never just add line. I always respool with all new. Better to be safe than sorry. Be just my luck to hook into a hog and lose him because I added a few feet on.