Adding a topside fuel tank

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JPritch, Oct 21, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've broken down the last two times I've taken my boat out, and both times fuel related (built-in fuel tank). I've spent a bunch of money to get this stuff taken care of and "think" it's fixed, but I am not too confident yet.

I have a fishing trip planned this weekend. I want to add a small topside fuel tank I can hook up in case I experience another fuel problem. I have no experience with this stuff, and could use the experts' advice.

Here's the tank:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90760____SearchResults

Here's the Yamaha specific hose:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_82921____SearchResults

I'm wondering if I need these, and how many?:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...01_83096?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_P1_2

If you all could please let me know if this would be all I need to get setup, and if I need those extra connectors, I would really appreciate it!

2. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Just by looking at the pictures and descriptions, look like you will need one of the male fittings for the tank. does the motor have the male connector? If so, you should not need but one male connector.

Having said that, I am NOT a professional, I'm only going by what I see in the pictures, and from what I remember on all my old boats, and my grandfather's boat.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    What did your problem end up being Joshua?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The tank and the hose will be all you will need. The two connectors are all ready on the hose you are buying. BTW if the engine hose connects straight to the fuel pump or filter without the quick connect then just take the end off and slip it onto the barbed connection at the fuel pump or filter, which ever it needs.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Doug - it was a pressure problem. Blocked up vent. Taking the gas cap off, started right up and fuel started moving to the motor. Another issue was my cooling water intake was partially blocked, resulting in the weakened pee stream coming from my motor. They think that might have resulted in some overheating - which the motor will cut itself off if it begins to overheat.

I went ahead and ordered the topside tank and I'm gonna carry it with me just in case. I don't trust my fuel system 100% at this point. Gonna take a few trouble-free trips before I can relax.

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i have that exact tank.. i connected the hose directly to the tank and then just needed the connection for my outboard.