Addiction - What temperature do catfish stop biting?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by river1214rat, Sep 21, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I am SOOO addicted to this forum. Can't wait to get home from work to check new postings. I do have a question though. Fall and winter are coming...at what temperature do the fish quit biting in the Ohio? Do you change your strategy when it is colder? Until this year, I was a fair weather, from the banks person. Now there is a boat involved...YEAH! Makes a big difference.:big_smile:

Linda

BE SAFE

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hi an welcome to the boc winter time is the time for the big cats if that is what you are after i had my best day on the ohio river last winter in the first week in feb. you have to fish them some what diff them worm weather the the blue cats love the cold water when it starts getting cold i start looking for them in deep holes an on drop offs an curant breaks if the water is running good hope this helps were are you from

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Thanks for the info. Fishing is a learning experience. I live in West Point past where the Salt River goes into the Ohio. My house is right on the River. Love It!

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Linda. As the water temps drop the cats become more active and spend more time feeding. The fall has always been my favorite time to fish. Good luck on the river!!

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Hey Linda, Welcome to the BOC

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Mo. Linda. Ask away and it will be answered.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Welcome Linda! Stock up on those Skippies, while you can! If you can find the warm water discharge at that power plant, it may be a great spot this winter!

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You should be able to catch blues and a occasional channel cat, but the flatheads will be dormant most of the winter when water temp gets below 50 degrees.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Linda Welcome to the BOC. When you began to add layers of clothing to keep you warm, the blues will start seeking a comfort zone. Look for deep holes, and drop offs. In early fall/winter they will feed more and store up fat for winter.Don't forget to think safety when fishing cold water. It's different.. One trip overboard could be your last. :big_smile:

11. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    welcome to the boc linda i catch just as many in winter as i do in summer, good luck

12. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Linda you look like a woman that i fished with the other day on the beartraps over at the falls if not then you have a twin

Welcome to the BOC