Added 10 lbs to my anchor

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by foothills, Apr 25, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i poured me up a new anchor yesterday...i poured concrete into a plastic dish pan along with some rebar and steel wire to hold things together and i weighed it today...it weighs 42 lbs...my old anchor weighed 32 lbs and a little wind would move my anchor across the bottom becuase it was round...with the extra weight and square shape i'm hoping to stay out in a 20 - 25 mph wind...i hate moving out of a good hole because the freakin anchor won't hold...i may need back surgery in a year from pulling the thing up but i ain't running from the wind anymore!!!:big_smile:

2. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I know what you mean by the back surgery part. I use a 50# flat steel counter balance from a skid steer that I found that someone left behind on a construction job. I always try to make sure "the other guy" is the one that gets the privledge of haulin that bad boy up. :big_smile:

Joe

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I bet your gone start givin each spot a little longer now too aint you?:lol:

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    craig , what size is your boat , i mean good greif that size ancher if made right would hold a 40' er . you might want to take a look in the archives on here for something a little lighter weight .

i fish the ohio river and hold fine in a 16'er with 20# mushroom and an ancher jw (dreadnaught ) made me

rebar works good as a grappler if made to do so

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Look in Cabelas catalog at the Chene anchor.Once it sets it wont come out.I have used it successfully at Santee in the the worst winds.Or get an anchor made out of bent re-bar,some call them wreck anchors because they are popular with wreck fishermen.Randolphs used to sell them.Make sure you have emough motor to straighten one out if it gets stuck.Give up on heavy weights for anchor because you will ruin your back and hands.I know a guide at Santee that had to install winchs on his poontoon becuase his hands and wrists were ruined.:smile2:

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I made an anchor at work out of 3" steel plate. I cut a circle with my burntable, 8inches in diameter, and welded an eyelet on top of it. It weighs in at 52 lbs. The best part about it is, it is small, and it will not roll on the bottom, and it dosent bounce around in the boat. It works real well. I fish the Mississippi River, and where I live the current is super strong, and I couldn't find anything else this small, that will hold. I could just probably buy a regular river anchor, but I'm too tight to spend the money on something I will just probably end up losing anyway! Lol.:wink:

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Some of the best anchors I ever owned were home made. We use large coffee cans and place a large eye bolt in the center and pour concrete in it. they work really well.

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yep...i just may be able to talk myself into staying an extra hour in a hole if i'm feelin lazy...i consider it strength training for the GIANT flathead i'm gonna catch one of these days.:big_smile:

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah guys it does seem a little over board (i guess)...i use a "graple hook" type anchor that i made for the front of my boat so i just drop the rear anchor straight down in the back of the boat...i gotta have that anchor hold so the boat movement is minimized...worse yet...if the back anchor don't hold then i gotta move to some protected creek or cove some place and not catch fish when i know good and well if i could have stayed in the first hole i'd be catching fish...that's why i am going with the square 42 lber...keep in mind i am still in the R & D stages so i may have to tweek my design a little.