Add Bacon to your deer burger

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Poppa, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    For the people that process their own deer this is something you might want to try. When making your burger instead of using beef fat or tallow
    try using bacon ends. It costs a little more but I think its worth it. I still
    use plain burger for tacos, spegetti, chili, soup, and such but for hamburger, meatloaf, and hamburger steak I use bacon burger. If you
    try it I think you will like it.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Poppa, some of the best I've had was this past year. Buddy taken maple bacon and added it to his grinder, I think he said bout 2 slices per LB.
    It was really good.
    :wink:

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That sounds like it would add to the flavor. Adding flavored bacon either maple or hickory smoked would be great.

4. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Can't beat it for hamburgers, been doin it for several years.For general use burger i Add fresh picked and cleaned grean onions to the grinder while grinding meat 50 deer 50 pork and a lot of fresh home grown green onion tops and all, minus the roots of course.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Ill give it a try when I grind this year........

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Wal Mart sells a bulk pack of odd cut bacon. It is in a brown box. That stuff is some of the strongest flavored bacon I have ever found. I hae wrapped it around Chicken strips, Phesant, and deer steaks. It adds a GREAT flavor. I never thought about adding it to burger though. I think I am going to make some up with it now though. I might also throw in some wild garlic greens and some cheese!
    Ok I gotta stop I am making myslef hungry!:dribble:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Has anyone ever tried this Sausage recipe?.

Take 15-25# of Boston Butt roast run thru the grinder at Medium size,2 or 3 times, then mix together by hand with about 35-50# of med ground deer meat.

Add enough sausage seasoning ( I like Sweet Italian ,Not much sage in it) no heartburn,:smile2: to make about 75# of sausage.

Then run it thru the grinder another couple of times, Freeze,and Bro's I can tell you if you make a 4" patty ,you will get a 4" patty pretty much..It will not shrink up to nothing and it TASTES GOOOOD..:smile2:

I can almost guarantee you will make it again.. Kenny

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I love Sweet Italian sausage I will your recipe this year. Thanks Poppa

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am making burger and sausage for the first time his year, so here's a dumb question: i grind the bacon along with the pork or deer i am grinding right? i have never ground anything. also, will the bacon make the meat stick together, without adding tallow, or is it just for flavor? thanks!

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Thats exactly why I use the Butt roast only , no extra fat; it has enough fat in it to do the job with a little bit of extra meat:smile2:

..omit the seasoning and you have deer burger.:wink: Good Eating Bro.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bacon does the same thing as adding fat, it just adds a little better flavor. I've used it in my sausage and meat sticks for years. I have about 10 pounds of it in the freezer right now. I use a pound to a pound and a half per 10 pounds of deer meat. grind a little at a time as you grind the venison so it's easier to mix.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    We grind up some pork and mix it with the deer, add sausage seasoning. I'll talk to em about adding bacon instead. Sounds like a good thing.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    would wild pork work? because i have that for free. although there's a lot of fat between the meat and hide when you dress one, the meat is super lean. also, wild hogs have soft fat vs. the hard fat of a domestic, and soft fat, although healthy for you, doesn't have a very good flavor. i think this is where a lot of stories from bad tasting pigs come from. thanks for the insight and the bacon idea. i will definitely try it! i'll bet hickory smoked would be awesome in some deer burger!

14. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In the same vein, my late Father-in-law and now my son make venison sausage with two parts ground venison and one part ground pork, usually bone out a Boston butt and lots of good seasonings. I bought whole pork loin @ $1.99 per pound and while it makes absolutely scrumptcious [sp?] sausage it is a bit too lean, just not quite enough fat.
    Try it and I'm sure you'll like it. Personally, I don't want to eat beef tallow, etc so why add it to my wonderful venison?

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have tried that before and it does taste real good!