Adapting to different structure?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wolfman, Jun 2, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    We all know flatheads are big on structure, Im just curious what techniques,tactics, strategies and equipment changes you the members make when fishing concrete and rock structures then move to fishing submerged timber,logs and stumps?

Do you keep the same tackle, rigs and techniques? or do you change and adapt strategies? .......thanks in advance

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i usually stay with the same ol sliprig, walter. i will use a balloon sometimes to float a good looking streatch of bank or riffle. i like to keep it simple aka lazy. lol

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I mostly use the tried and true carolina rig for most areas. The only time I switch up is when fishing rocky spots. Then I go with the modified slip rig. Which is a carolina with an extra swivel threaded on the main line above the bead. To this swivel I tie on a dropper so the sinker hangs about 3 to 5 inches below the hook. My main line is 80lb and the dropper is 17lb stren. The 17lb dropper gives me the ability to cast 12 or 18 oz of lead if I need to without breaking LOL. But once it gets snagged and a big flat takes off he can break it easily. Plus I can still use the clicker in freespool.

4. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i usually just stay with the carolina rig...but on ocasion ill change to a slip bobber, or three way rig