Adam's Way Of Cleaning Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Adam Foster(Catfishkiller29) on April 19, 2004

I am no fish cleaning pro by any means but this is the way i do it and my fish meat comes out really nice for the texas select jalapeno dusted fish batter which we love in this house anyhow

1st step catch some fish
    [​IMG]

2nd step
    get your carvin kit out mine is a nice knife,my sharpeners because i sharpen my knife between every couple fish, ok i would recomend skinning pliers or even regular ones all i could find was my needle nose so i made due and of course hammer and nails which we will use next
    [​IMG]

3rd step
    i hammer a nail through there heads to help hold em still while i carve em
    [​IMG]

4th step
    i cut just through the skin right down the center of the back cuting around both top fins/dorseles or what ever those are called

[​IMG]
    and then stright up and down right behing there sharp tine

[​IMG]
    and then down the belly area remember just cut the skin right now

[​IMG]

5th step
    grab the skin right here with the pliers
    [​IMG]

THEN CLAMP DOWN REAL HARD AND PULL removing the skin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6th step
    i cut down in from top folowing the rib cage and pull the meat away gently as i cut down through
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and there ya pretty much have it i then soak mine in ice cold water after rinseing it i add salt to my water pry the fish remains up take all scrap that i cut off. THE top of the meat it is yellowish some call it a mud vain i keep it and roll it around in the blood and freeze it for bait so thats all i got hope i helped some there will be other brothers that will come on and help they might even tell me a easier way cause we are all still learning