Activated carbon.

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I was looking around the aquarium dept. at Wally World, for filter ideas for my bait tank, and ran across this stuff (activated carbon). I didn't see any sort of instructions for it or anything. Will it work for shad in a 30 gal tank? Is there some sort of ratio that I should be thinking about when building my filter box and subsequent filters?

Jon

2. Catman_Chuck

Catman_Chuck New Member

State:
    Activated carbon will kill certain chemicals found in water. Also when dealing with aquarium supplies its intended use is for straining fish waste and susequent ammonia build up in a tank. Ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. Thats the formula when bacteria beaks down the harmful pollutants in a bait tank or aquarium. Ammonia first, then it breaks down to nitrite then nitrate.Ammonia and nitrite can kill fish nitrate is not really harmful to most fresh water species. These 3 things run in a Cycle. If your using it for holding fish for long periods of time start with just a few fish and make sure that the tank cycles completly before adding a bunch of fish. If your just using it for the day. A good conditioner,BTS, or Shad Keeper will work as well as any filtration system that you may use. I use a conditioner and shad keeper, ovel
    15 gallon tank, micro bubble aerator and have kept 30 blue gill and shad alive for 18-24 hours without losing a fish and letting the rest go at the end of the trip.

3. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Great advise, It also helps to not have too many shad, We rarely need more than 5 to 7 shad for 3-4 hours of fishing.