Activated carbon.

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

Greensboro, NC
    I was looking around the aquarium dept. at Wally World, for filter ideas for my bait tank, and ran across this stuff (activated carbon). I didn't see any sort of instructions for it or anything. Will it work for shad in a 30 gal tank? Is there some sort of ratio that I should be thinking about when building my filter box and subsequent filters?

2. Catman_Chuck

Catman_Chuck New Member

Activated carbon will kill certain chemicals found in water. Also when dealing with aquarium supplies its intended use is for straining fish waste and susequent ammonia build up in a tank. Ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. Thats the formula when bacteria beaks down the harmful pollutants in a bait tank or aquarium. Ammonia first, then it breaks down to nitrite then nitrate.Ammonia and nitrite can kill fish nitrate is not really harmful to most fresh water species. These 3 things run in a Cycle. If your using it for holding fish for long periods of time start with just a few fish and make sure that the tank cycles completly before adding a bunch of fish. If your just using it for the day. A good conditioner,BTS, or Shad Keeper will work as well as any filtration system that you may use. I use a conditioner and shad keeper, ovel
    15 gallon tank, micro bubble aerator and have kept 30 blue gill and shad alive for 18-24 hours without losing a fish and letting the rest go at the end of the trip.

3. powercat

powercat New Member

Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Great advise, It also helps to not have too many shad, We rarely need more than 5 to 7 shad for 3-4 hours of fishing.