ACORNS HITTING THE GROUND

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Luke Clayton, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. I JUST got back from doing a little scouting for hogs in the woods near my home. I know some oaks way back in the bottoms that usually begin dropping their acorns first. Sure enough, I found the forrest floor littered with acorns AND, more importantly, the first hog sign I have seen down there since spring. Looked like a couple of smaller hogs, probably 100 pounders by the look at the sign, were already on the acorns. I smeared a little of OLE LUKE'S HOG PASTE attractant on a sappling a few yards south of the oaks (the wind is usually from the south or southwest right now), scattered a 5 gallon bucket of corn in with the acorns. Guess where I plan to be in a couple of days with my Mathews Drenalin??!!
    Check the oaks in your area, deer and hogs have an uncanny way of knowing JUST when they begin dropping acorns. I did not find any "velvet rubs" from the whitetail bucks in the area but... Expect them to begin rubbing velvet any day now.. Good hunting to you! Luke Clayton

2. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I appreciate the heads up. I will have to try to get some scouting in this weekend.