Acid Washing my decks for Tuff Stuff rubber coating

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Seth, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I removed the carpet on my aluminum decks and am wanting to put on some Tuff Stuff rubberized coating. After researching, I have seen a lot of recommendations for acid washing the aluminum to etch the surface so that it's ready for primer and then the Tuff Stuff coating.

Now the simple question, how do I do an acid wash? I don't know what the acid is supposed to be or how to go about doing it.:tounge_out:

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would try muratic acid it's used on bricks but i think it would work well on aluminum and it also does wonders on old wood floors

hope this correct and helps

3. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I've used oven cleaner(heavy duty) in the past to take anodizing off aluminum parts, it left them porus to apply primer.

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Get some air conditioner coil cleaning acid, and follow directions the same as you would for cleaning the ac. It will turn the aluminum a chalky white color when its etched properly.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you can get mag wheel cleaner from the autoparts store that will etch it .. just be sure it is for cast mag wheels ..

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Personally, I wouldnt use acid. I wouldnt even use acid in the same room that my aluminum boats in. I would do as Tuff Stuff recommends by cleaning the surface free of paints and oils, rough up the surface with 80 grit paper, and prime with self etching primer. I've done it, it works, and its still on.

7. Rosati

Rosati New Member

State:
    tx
    It will eat aluminum!. Do not use it!

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Seth, thousands of people use acid to clean the logs on pontoon boats every year. There is even a product made specially for it called Toon Brite, and the only reason I suggested the coil cleaner over it was because its cheaper, but it is the same stuff. Yea if you were to use it on it every day for a year you'd probably damage it, but for a one time application you'll be fine. If your still worried about it, use the stuff specifically for boat, and follow the directions, or have a boat dealer do it so the liability is on them.

Heres a link to their instructions http://www.toonbrite.com/AluminumCleaner.htm
    and another link to a dealer. http://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/219-toon-brite-aluminum-cleaner-pontoon.asp

PS, DON"T use Muratic acid, its not the same.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If you're stuck on the acid, why not just use some vinegar? Its a cheap readily available acid that wont kill yours or the neighbors pets, so you can just wash it onto the ground with no worries. I've used it to clean the rust out of motorcycle gas tanks, it should etch aluminum. I also second the self etching primer though, it will etch and prime, giving your coating a really nice surface to adhere to.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ZEP AND FREUAF MAKE A GOOD ACID CLEANER we use on gasoline tankers you spray it on and spray it off

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Will the vinegar work good for getting the old carpet glue off the deck? I just want to get the glue off now and I'll go with some self etching primer.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I imagine vinegar would remove the carpet glue eventually, but it might take it a while to soften the glue enough to remove it. Try it, it might surprise you/me.