accuracy issues

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by tkoehler, Oct 11, 2008.

1. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Having some problems with accuracy. With a dirty barrel i punched 6 shots in a hole the size of a quarter at 100 yards. Once i run a bore snake through the barrel 1st couple of shots were hitting several inches higher than before. Do i put the rifle away dirty for deer season to not have this problem. Where i hunt 300 yard shots are very common, really like to know where i will be shooting.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Unless I get my rifle real muddy or I get caught in a rain storm I never
    clean my rifle during the season. Once I'm satisfied with my groups I
    only shoot at game from then on. I do this because of the smell of oil and
    solvents more than anything else.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    This is one of the reasons I clean my guns 3 times per year. I will give them a really good cleaning at the end of the season when I know I'm done hunting until the next season. About mid summer I will get them all out and just wipe them down with a fresh coat of oil. Before the season starts and even though they have not been shot I will again give them a really good cleaning. I will then shoot them 3 to 6 times before sighting them in. After sighting in I will not clean them again unless I'm caught out in a rain.

4. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks for the info ! That what i have done in the past , just retired my old savage for my new one. dealer said to clean every 3 shots for the 1st box for break in. well i did that so, i know what i need to do now.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    With long distance shots available!! Do what you have to, for the most accuracy possible.

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'm the leave them dirty crowd. With a clean barrel they never seem to shoot the same place that a dirty one does.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I believe in keeping the barrel on my 270 clean, to an extent. It don't stack em with a freshly cleaned bore like it will after a few shots. Once season starts i leave the bore alone and only wipe the gun down after handling it.

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Many books reference a fouling shot. This is in many sniper manuals also. Basically they get the gun to the range, practice and completely clean the gun. Then they put one or possibly 2 rounds down range and put the gun away.