Accidental 50lb. blue catfish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Steve Douglas, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    went to the hydro in louisville today to catch bait the skip jack are running about 10-12" caught about 50 or so . the bite got alittle slow so i thought id just throw a couple cat rods out and see whats happening. i continued to fish for skippys,and then both rods went down and i got a skippy on , i laid the skippy rod down and grabbed the fist rod it was a big one i then grabbed the 2nd one its saller so i put it in the rod holder,got the big one netted , pulled the smaller on in , .and then my skippy. i really wasnt trying or expecting to catch anything but thought what the heck i was just waitin on the skip jack to start biting again. its funny how ,when you looking for fish that size you cant find them ,but when your not even expecting a big fish they surprise you hmmm.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Steve, Steve, Steve, Steve, Steve...................

You absolutely have GOT to buy a camera, or at least use the one you have if you have one.:eek:oooh:

You are catching way too many Big Fish! The BOC likes to see pics!!!!!!!

Ok..... I like to see pics, but I think a lot of others do also.

Congrats! Them 50 pounders feel pretty good.

3. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    im sorry guys i got it on my new camera fone but i dont know how to get it from the fone to the computer.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on another nice blue Steve! If you don't have a cable for your phone you can email them to yourself to get them on you computer.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Most camera phones take somewhat lousy pics. Digital cameras are pretty reasonable now and will get you the best pic possible for that treasured moment.

Thanks for your recent posts, appreciate the big fish stories.

6. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey guys:

I'm coming down to the Cincy area next Saturday. I wondered what type of rigs you giys are using this time of year. Also, how much weight do I need to hold in the current? Anyone is welcome to join us,right now I',m not sure where we'll be fishing as of now.

Andy

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve sounds like you had a great day. All the skippies and a big blue. Thanks for sharing.

8. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    well i went down stream today and cought several big fish trying to get the pics down loaded now

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Nice going Steve....I wish I had that problem sometimes! :big_smile::big_smile:

Congrats on all the great catches!

10. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Steve, thats an easy problem to fix. And I'm more then happy to help you out brother.

Here is all you have to do. First find a small box and put your camera phone in it. Then mail it to the first guy that wants to see a picture of your fish. That guy will then send the package onto the next BOC member that wants to see your fish.
    :tounge_out:
    The way I see it you should get your phone back in about 8.3 years.
    Got any other problems you need help with?
    :wink:
    BTW... seriously... congratulations on a NICE fish.
    :cool2:
    T.
    _

11. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    here are some fish i caught down steam from the hydro ,lots of 10-12 lbers several in the 20-25lb range and these they were hitting big chunks of skipp jack in 35-50 ft in the blow outs. 1 flat head 3 channels and the rest were blues

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  12. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    one more cause theres onlt 3 spots

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
  13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Steve,
    If your gonna have an accident, what a better one to have. A fifty pounder, WoW!!! Id like to have an accident like that...lol I fished today with vlparrish and we also found that the skips were running, caught several of them ourselves. The fish on the other hand was another story, but we had a lot of fun. Again, congrats on another nice catch. rspd507

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Thats awesome. I always say, the stomach is where the food is. guess you found that out. I love accidents like that.

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I was born and raised in Jeffersonville Indiana, about 3 blocks above the falls. (3rd St)As a kid we dip netted shad and skipjack and sold shad guts for 23 cents a gallon. Skipjacks were worth about a nickle a pound but we usually smoked them and they were our meat for the week. (1943 WW II) Us kids took some smoked skippers down to the POW (Prisoners of War, mostly Italians) camp and give them to the guys behind the fence and they would give us patches from thier uniforms and gum wrappers and empty shell casings, what ever they had to trade. I was 5 years old and had no fear of the POWs. Me and my buddys spent probably 2 years (a LONG LONG time when you are 5) making friends with the pow's. At the time my Uncle was in France(Normandy). We didn't understand why some our friend's Dad's or brothers didn't come home. We only knew that the Pow's wanted to go back to thier families just like my Uncle wanted to come back to us.
    When the war was over and the POW's went away(we didn't know where) we , as 1st graders felt a loss because our I'tie friends (as we called them) were gone. One day, when I was in the 8th grade(8 years later) I got a letter that had stamps all over it from Germany, Switzerland, England and France. Inside it was a note that was hand printed and you could tell it was copied from a beginning English book. It said "Thanks, I made it home, hope your uncle did too"... You'er I'tie friends ........ thanks for the fish

16. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Wow! and grattzz ~ its the unexpected that gives you the trills of a lifetime!