Accessible spots???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by sittinheavy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. sittinheavy

sittinheavy New Member

State:
    ky
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    First off my name is Chris. I'm looking for a decent fishing spot around the fort knox area or within 20-30mins thats reasonably accessible for a powerchair user. I was injured awhile back in a car accident that paralyzed me from the chest down and i'm just now getting back into fishing. I've got a group of 3-4 kids that I take out with me that help out with various tasks but we have been getting skunked pretty bad and now they are getting burned out on the whole fishing thing. We've been fishing several paylakes in the area(i know, i know.) with hit or miss results. I grew up fishing the ohio, rough river, nolin lake, and a few small farm ponds. I know how to fish and where to find them but without the ability to scout out new terrain i'm having a hard time finding a decent hole. We are not looking for trophy cats by any means, just a couple eaters and some pole bending action. If any of you all would care to help a fellow fisherman out, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks you all.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Take a look at the Brandenburg city park on the Ohio . I must admit I do not know for sure if a power chair will work . There is an OLD boat ramp right as you come into the park and people drive down there and park at the bottom of the ramp.It is fairly flat and I saw a guy catch about a 20 in Flathead there yesterday . This may be an option when the water is down. I live in Richmond and fish theere rarley when visit relatives this is about the only place I can think of.

3. sittinheavy

sittinheavy New Member

State:
    ky
    We've been eye-balling that place, the salt river ramp, and west point city park but it seems like everytime we get a chance to head out there the water is all screwy. we were gonna head to the salt river ramp this past weekend but the river was full of floating debris.

4. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Hey Chris. Welcome to the BOC!

It's a little bit of a hike from where you are, but one option would be the Game Farm at Fish & Wildlife Headquarters in Frankfort (aka Salato Wildlife Education Center). There's a small fishing pier on the Upper Lake which I believe is accessible. Now you won't catch a lot of monsters in there, but you should catch plenty of baby trout, bluegill, warmouth, and small channels in there. They stock it with channels, and of course the sunfish don't need to be stocked to stay plentiful.:smile2: There's turtles and LOTS of birds in that area too, so there's always something to see.

It's not always fast and furious action, but you can USUALLY be assured of SOMETHING. That ought to keep the kids interested. If you do get skunked, there is a nice exhibit with all sorts of live wildlife (deer, elk, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, and MUCH more). The outdoor areas of that have improved trails, and the indoor exhibits should be accessible as well. There's also a picnic area and what not as well. Even greenhouses with various plants, also. Might make a nice day for the little ones even if the fish aren't biting. Good luck, friend!!
    http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigation.aspx?cid=130

5. sittinheavy

sittinheavy New Member

State:
    ky
    Place looks worthy of a road trip. I should have clarified earlier when I said kids, these guys are 16-20 years old. As far as accessibility goes, just need some flat ground reasonably close to the water I've buried my chair in mud several times this year in an attempt to reach some old fishing grounds. We've got some lakes on post that are stocked, but they are usually over-fished pretty badly. Thanks Again

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try Brandenburg It is rock @ the bottom of the old ramp . If you have eye balled it I think you can do it ! You may have company there and I am betting the good folks of Brandenburg would make room or help you out if needed .