Abu's Record series RCN60HC

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Sunbird, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I currently have several Abu reels and like them all very much. I am considering outfitting my existing rods with the Record series reel. I like the HC (high capacity) 60 model. It will hold 245yds of 14lb. mono. I use braid and generally use 65 to 80lb. I could easily put 200yds on this reel. Does anyone use these? I think it's a new reel to the Ambassaduer line of reels. Maybe 2 or 3 years old. I don't know. I have been told they are made in Sweeden, true? They retail for 169.00, I have found 8 of them for $1100. I was needing some input from the gallery, let me know what you think. Thanks!:wink:

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I have a rcn 60 hc I use for musky. I like it. Its smooth and cranks big lures effortlessly. I dont care for the flip up thumb bar. It always flips up when you dont want it to. I tend to get a little carried away when zinging these lures. Casting to hard has led to some unrepairable birdsnest. I consider myself good with a casting rell too. I think its the brake cause I NEVER had a reel backlash as much as my record. Personally I like the low gear ratio of the 7000ic3 better for cattin

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my opinion, you don't need the EXTRA capacity if your using braid. And Yes, they are made in sweden. They would be a nice reel to purchase and store. They'll be worth a lot in about 20 years if in new condition.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

I would have to disagree on that I looked at Record at Cabelas and it was not made in Sweden had a China sticker on the reel foot.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to disagree with that.

I have 3 of the records, they have made in sweeden stamped on them.

But even if they are made in China they are my favorite reel.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

When did you buy your last one. A buddy I fish with has 2 of them and they were the Sweden ones too, heard a rumor that they were not Sweden made any more so last time I was in Cabelas I looked sure enough it had the China sticker, same goes for the 7000 Pro Rockets now. I have a 6500 that is Sweden made and one that is China made and if I had them on the poles and did not tell you which was which you could not tell from handling it, casting it, and reeling it so I do not see what the deal is.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought my last one about a year ago, so maybe they are made in China now.

China or seeden it makes no difference to me as long as they are abu's

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I bought two of the hc-records when they first came out, they have made in sweden stamped on them. All of my abus have made in sweden stamped on them, except my 7000's they have assembled in sweden. The records are smooth reels and they will cast, I have no complaints. Hard to beat abu's.

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    China or sweeden, it still preforms the same to me...:smile2:

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Somebody put the sticker on the reel ,,The Dept manager at ABU says the RCN 60 HC comes Straight from SWEDEN Bro's... every thing from thr 4500 to the 6500 comes from sweden anything over comes from china. That his words not mine...I cannot tell him his wrong. Because I have already asked them the same question twice and received the same answer..

Oh! to answer your question on how well are the reels..I have 2 I bought a little over a year ago and they are about the best ABU's I've ever used in my life..And thats all I've ever used ABU'S.

I do have a couple of CVX's and a couple CVZ's Millionaire's that I started useing a few yrs back when I bought one for my bro for his birthday, and he said he couldn't fish with a reel that cost 250. and give it back..LOL.He just would not except it at all,and put it my hands.So I said thank you and took it home and slapped it on a rod and went fishing with it..I'm glad I did..Great reels, they are wide spooled like the 60, And I can put them up their right along with them , nice drags and gears also..they are some bad to the bone reels.. But the 60's If you can get them and got the $$ Its up to you..:cool2:

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks guys for all the input! I agree that there is nothing like an Abu!!:roll_eyes: I think I'm gonna buy one and give it a try. I will let ya'll know how they are. I am already sure they are sweet!!!:wink:

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    No matter where there made, this is great info.

13. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Ya know my answer......It's ABU all the way babyyyyyyyy. If the abu's that are made in China are half as good as the ones made in sweeden, they'll be great cause I've got 3 that are 17 years old and they work just like my new ones. They might have a few battle marks on them, but they're great reels.

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Kenny I was shocked when I looked at the reel. I had read your post about the abu's and the China thing not to long before I was there. The guy in the reel dept took out 4 of them and the all had the sticker. I told him that I was told they were Sweden made and he said that they were told things have changed with some of the reels. I do not care China or Sweden like I said before I can not tell a them apart.

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Hey guys, get used to "Made in China" being on the reels. They've got to do it to be competitively priced and to keep the profit margin where it needs to be to stay in business. In the end, it's going to come down to "Made in China" means that there will be Abu reels available. No "Made in China" will mean NO reels. Sometimes fame is bittersweet.