Abu's, converting non-clicker to clicker

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 9, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very boring day here in Dink-land, so im gonna post how to modify a a non-clicker ambassador to a clicker reel. i have 4 different 5500/5600's that i channel fish with, two of which i got at a yard sale really cheap but they didnt have clickers. i rarely ever use a clicker while channel fishing but there are times i have to walk away from my pole, take a snooze, or want to try some live bait for flats. below are pics of how i modified them. all ambassadors from 5000-6500's have the same plastic gear under the sideplate for moving the levelwind and operating the clicker regardless if it has a clicker or not (pic-1). im not sure about the 4600's. Pic-2 shows the brass version of the clicker mechanism as it is on the plate and by itself. the local repair shop sold me the 2 parts for $4. if you have another ambassador WITH a clicker remove the side plate and clicker mechanism, put the side plate of the reel you want to modify next to it, align all the screw holes, and using a sharpie draw an exact copy of the groove on the spot where it should be. then, let it dry for a few and using a Dremmel CAREFULLY cut out a groove for the clicker mechanism (pic-3) and de-bur the edges. install mechanism, replace sideplate, and you have a reel with a clicker. if you do not have steady hands i wouldnt advise doing this, and please wear safety glasses. as you can see i cut a little close to the edge on the one in the pic (pic-3,silver plate), that was the first one i done, but it works just fine. if you do this be careful and go slow! cut the groove a little small then enlarge as needed.

Attached Files:

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Interesting Modifications Dinkbuster. How long did it take you to do and figure out. you might be onto something.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dink that is very mcgiverous of you i like that idea
    i have a 4600 and my son does too actually he has a 5000 but its a 80.oo reel i dont know if he would want me to go modifying but he may if my 4600 turns out ok.
    great post
    cant give rep for a few more hours

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great post Dink, fortunately all my reels have clickers so i dont have to go through all of that

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Still thinking about your post Dink. Can you tell any difference in the functionality after the modification. Also how did you take into account keeping the elements out. I may have more questions.
    thanks
    Larry

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you cut it correctly then its the same as the one that came from the factory. theres no gasket or anything in between. there may be a little water that gets in but not much if any, that plastic thumbswitch fits really snug against the metal. besides, theres nothing in there to rust, its all plastic, aluminum, or brass. the rest of the reel is isolated from this section. as far as function, works just the same as one off the shelf!

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sweet!!
    thanks

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Great artical buddy!!! This is library material & I have two 5000 series that I want to modify. If I can't find the parts I may PM you and have you get me the address & # of place you got yours.:thumbsup:

Frank

9. Manolo56

Manolo56 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Great piece of information. I have a couple of 5000's I've never been totally satified with because they didn't have clickers. I can't download your pic's until I have 5 posts. This is number 3. I'm somewhat of a new member.

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Man thats a good idea looks like library material to me

11. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the great idea!

12. Pennspin

Pennspin New Member

State:
    Alexander City Al.
    Great Idea, Thanks

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hit the nail on the head. It'll be in there today. Thanks Dink!!

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats nice work for a useless nut(buckeye) dink,love it!

15. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
    Me too, I hope to download the pics

16. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    that is a great idea. in fact i just stripped the drag out on my abu 5000 and have to tear it down i think I'll try the clicker

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Congratulations on a library worthy post, Dink! Great info!

Did you see my post on the book I thought you would comment on?
    It's called "Take My Job and Ship It". Research it on the net. I think you might enjoy it. I read the first 4 pages and it appears awesome. Just waiting for winter so I can read it.

Take care.
    Cheryl

18. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    dink do you no what the part #'s are for the clicker

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  20. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    By george I think you have a good idea let us know how that turned out.