abu's 6600 DS junk outta the box

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by drpepper, May 30, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got this from Walmart over a year ago I guess, never took it out of the box till last week and noticed a "catch" while crankin' it.

Receipts nowhere to be found, and YES I've learned a lesson, but take a look here, don't you think the engineering is cheesey-cheap?

I would hate to think what would happen if I hung a biggin, (or little one) with this crappy little plastic gear between me and the ability to reel him in!!!

You can see the crack in the little plastic gear, and my thinkin' is if the plastic gear didnt break.... how dang strong could the few thin spline groves in the plastic be?

Loose the function of that thin plastic gear, you lose ability to reel-in a bare hook!

Ya know, the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link!

Can I get a replacement part(s) that AIN'T some cheap-made in China P.O.S for this?

I'm appauled at the crappyness is some of the parts in this reel... how much more could it cost to have put all metal gears in this thing? a buck or two? Sheesh....:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    MOST OF THE TIME WALMART DOES NOT SALE TOP SHELF REELS THATS SO THE DEALERS CAN KEEP THERE PRICES UP AND IF YOU WANTED A BETTER COMBO YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN AT WALMART BECAUSE YOU WERE LOOKING FOR PRICEING

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Go buy one of these reels from the highest priced dealer you can find. Guess what that gear will still be made of plastic. That gear receives very little pressure and will last for many years. All it does is turn the worm gear to run the level wind. Abu and most other top brand name reels have used a plastic gear for this job for years. The oldest reel I have with this plastic gear is an ABU 5000c, this reel is close to 20 years old and the little plastic gear is still doing it job just as good now as when it was new.
    If you have a vehicle with a timing chain or gears, chances are the teeth on the cam gear is made of the same plastic. It is used to reduce noise. Now if this plastic is strong enough for use on engine timing gears then it's plenty strong enough to turn the worm gear on a fishing reel.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WHAT? I WOULD EXPECT MORE FROM AN $8.00 ZEBCO 202 NO MATTER WHERE I BOUGHT IT, OR ARE YOU SAYING THAT WALMART SELLS FACTORY REJECTS? BUT THAT WOULDENT MAKE ANY SINCE FOR THE MANUFACTURER TO DO BECAUSE THE WARRANTIES ARE THE SAME? EVERYBODY LOOKS FOR PRICING UNLESS THEIR MAYBE BILL GATES OR DONALD TRUMP BUT i BET EVEN THEY WOULD BE A SMIDGE DISSAPOINTED IF THEY BOUGHT A FORD FOCUS THAT WOULDNT EVEN ROLL DOWN HILL.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Look closely at the gear see the crack? there's only one. Now look on around the gear see another little spot that looks JUST like the spot where the crack is... interesting sorta.... all I have are abu's I even have my Grandfathers abu and use it all the time never a problem, but none I have are built like this.... The plastic gears are THICK.
    I know that very little pressure is applied to that gear but MORE presure CAN be applied to that gear then it's engineering can handle... from the thin splines to the skinny plastic. that gear should be metal.

6. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I think you probably just got a defective reel. Everyone I know that has ever had an abu- baitcaster has had very little problems. They are a solid piece of eqiupment. Don't let one bad egg change your mind. I would contact Abu and get the factory replacement and move on you should'nt have anymore problems. It makes you wonder how abu let something like that out of the factory, don't reels have little "inspected by" stickers on them? It is just one more example that everything you can buy is garbage anymore. It is a shame. Good luck fixing your reel.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Sad to say but it's the people in this country that would charge 40$ an hour to put that metal gear in that thing therefore the outsourcing by the company to overseas manufacturers that don't care about quality to put plastic gears and such for cheaper prices. As said walmart probably purchases the lower end reels that dont make the cut, so they can get them @ a discount and keep prices lower for the consumer here!!!! Try the sponsors & get quality merchandise that will stand behind. To answer your question fully, yes you can get replacement gears & bushings or bearings and upgrade to have a great reel............

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I remember when I was the size of my boys standin' beside me in my avatar, I saved my money and went out and bought myself a zebco rod (I already had a reel)
    I was in a boat with my Dad and was using a shad-like lure... I was reeling it in and *BAM!*
    I was in for the fight with a bass so big; to this day I have never had the luck to hook into.... when all of a sudden, SNAP!!!
    I was left standin' there with just the handle of that rod in my hand, while I watched my reel, and the other end of the pole with MY bass, just swim away into the depths.

THATS how I learned about quality in all things.... by losing the world record Largemouth bass... lol!

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey bill, i got two of my buddies the 6600 ds and i got me two 5500 ds reels last year. none of them lasted a month. i have been messing with the damn things for over a year now and never had any luck... my buddies gave up on theirs and they are just garage ornaments now. i got them on clearance for 17 bucks, so i am not out that much, but it's the principle! i want to send them back and trade out for a couple 6000's.

walmart sells the same reels that everyone else sells. should i trade out my ugly cat rods and power pro and ambassadeur 6000's i got at wal mart and go get new ones somewhere else? :big_smile:

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LMAO!!! 17 bucks...??? hahahahaha!!!!! now I'm REALLY feelin' screwed, thanks alot!!!! lmao,lmao:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:
    are the gears good on any of 'em?!? lol!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I talked to people from abu garcai years ago about Walmart reels.

They assured me that they were the exact same reel that you would by from bass pro etc.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah, I would think they would be.:wink:

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WALMART DOES NOT SALE WHAT WE CALL TOP SHELF ITEMS THE MANFG.DO NOT WANT THEM SOLD AT A DISCOUNT

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you still have the box, and the reel is obviously still new. take it back to walmart. without the reciept, they will give you a credit to buy other stuff or another reel. but make sure they still sell the reel and if they ask if it's been longer than 90 days. just say no.......

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what? and damn my soul to burn for eternity over a crappy 17 dollar reel.... LMAO!
    Seriously,, I got it in a bazzillion pieces... might as well soup it up or maybe melt it down and use it for a sinker or stink bait or....:smile2:

16. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I recently bought two Abu 6600bcx baitcasters from wally world for $59 each with a $10 rebate.they work great but I called Abu Garcia to see who else sells the 6600 because I had bought the last two at WW. They told me that the 6600 was a WW exclusive.....Still good reels.....Jeff

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    there's a new member I've bumped into here on the BOC that is obviously a reel-wizard... he really knows his stuff in major detail... I hope he finds this thread, I'd like his input on this stuff.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    its actually a 6600 d5. i thought it was ds too. i had one exactly like it. got it on clearence from wal-mart for $59. was $99. it casted a mile. i liked it. but it was a lil small and the thumbar was plastic. i used it a season and sold it on ebay for $49. same price i had just paid for a $139.00 cva muzzeloader on clearence.:wink:

http://www.jandh.com/p-144-abu-garcia-ambassadeur-6600-d5-baitcasting-reel.aspx

that may help ya get your part. 6600 D5:wink:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31794

thats an old thread on it.

NEED ADDITIONAL HELP OR INFORMATION?
    Write to us at:
    Abu Garcia Service Department
    1900 18th Street
    Spirit Lake, Iowa 51360-1099

or call: 1-800-228-4272

or you can e-mail us at: www.abugarcia.com

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeremy, thank you for that correction! I'm glad you found this thread and thanks for the contact info... your the man!

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If it was cracked and if someone did not stress it,it was defective.I was a mechanic for over 40 years.New items or parts does not mean it is not defective.I have stocked small parts and found everyone of hundreds defective.This is the reason for recalls.

Your really heavy reels do not have level wind simply because it is a weak link on the reels that do.I and thousands of other kids used the Penns with a single digit age on us.No level wind.If the rest of the reel is good,you have good reels.You can replace the gear or use it without the level wind.

The following is only about the reels that I have had experience with.The Penn 209 & 309 are the best cheap level wind I know and you can expect to replace them regularly with HARD use.The Shimanto Charter Special 1000 & 2000 LD's have strong level winds for a $120.00 reel.The 2000 is rated for 20 lb.line.I have a Penn 145 GTI that has held up well but it is rated for 50 lb.line.I have it spooled with 600 yards of 30 lb.line for fast Saltwater fish that they claim can swim 30 to 50 MPH.You can expect to replace all of them regularly with hard use.The level wind changing directions at this speed is hard use!You can spend hundreds of dollars and have this plastic gear.It is made to strip and give first.I only bought and used level winds after I became handicapped.I fished fresh and saltwater for 50 years without them for my use.

You have a reel made for 14 lb.line.It is designed for 9.33 lbs.of drag.It ain't made like a reel designed for 50 lb.line and 50 mph fish.I would replace the 2 gears and go from there.Level winds are like tires and wheel bearings on a truck.They will wear and have to be replaced.There are lemons and bad parts with all.I ain't a Abu Garcia man as I had not a single use for them that I knew of.A lot of people love them.Give yours a chance.

If I remember right,this gear in my old Classic Diawa Millionaire 4-H is nylon.I do believe it to be 44 years old now and still going strong so far.It was made in Japan.

I am hoping that you will be able to come out satisfied with these reels.I have bought enough and repaired enough junk for us all in my 63 years.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee