Abundance of one-eyed catfish on the James

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by JPritch, Dec 23, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yeah, I'm blinding a good percentage of the fish I catch. I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles. I feel good about their release, but bad that I'm sending these fish on their way with only one good eye. They are either being hooked directly in the eye area, or when I'm pulling the hook out, the hook catches on something their eyeball is attached to, and their eye rolls back into their heads and they're blind.

Also hooked a few with the hook coming out the top of their heads!:eek:oooh:

I let the fish load the rod, then give a light sweeping motion when I take the rod from the holder.

Common casualty of fishing, or something I could be doing differently?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This will happen on smaller fish usein the size hook ya use. I run into the same thing with the channels up here. If ya are gonna target a certain size fish try a smaller hook of the same type. Its amazein how a 3 pound cat can get an 8/0 hook and a big chunk of bait in its mouth. LOL!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Big George is right - seems to happen quite a lot when catching smaller fish on big hooks. The 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circles seem to be particularly bad about this.

I'm using the Team Catfish 8/0 Double Action Circle Hooks a lot more these days and haven't noticed it happening nearly as much - though I haven't been using them long enough to really say for sure that there's a difference.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont have that problem with circles but it happens ALOT when i use kahle hooks,but it could be just me and how i set the hook i guess,but i like kahle hooks alot when using live or cut bait.