Abu vs. Penn fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CountryHart, Jan 13, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Not entirely sure how to word this but i'll begin by saying i bass fished for years with Abu 5000 reels and never had issues other than an occasional pawl being replaced. I've little experience with bigger one's with the exception of using a friends last year at the Mo. gathering. 8oz. weight and casted like a dream.
    Now for the question, i'm wanting to buy a few reels this spring and want input on Abu, peen or other desent priced baitcasters. I think i want something with a level wind, but not sure if i need a clicker or not. Most of my fishing will be in lakes with occasional trips to rivers.Help me out guys, i'm wanting some tackle big enuff to get er done if the chance happens.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100% Abu Garcia here, from 6000 to 6500, but the 7000 is a great choice too.

Bill in SC

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use both abu and penn. I use my abus for channel cat fishing mainly, and my penns when I target the big blues. Either will do the job but the smaller abus (5500,6500) do not seem to be able to handle the abuse of a whole season of 20+ pound blues. I love my abus and have landed several 20+ pound fish on them though. I think either would be fine depending on your fishing.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John I will agree with Bill on this one. I like the ABU mentioned and I also like the Penns. I have a 220ld. Either the penns or the abu will do the job. The next question you might want to consider is line capacity and reel weight.

5. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Personally, I like the Abu's, they seem to be super smooth and tough as nails. I don't have too much experience with the Penns, but the do seem like some tough as nails reels. Either way I don't think you are gonna get hurt. The last ones I bought were Abu's because they felt smoother than the Penn's and I've got some Abu's that are about 30 years old still goin strong.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use both Penn and ABU. The only levelwind Penns I have are a no 9 and a 310gti. The ABU's that I use are 6000's and 7000's. The ABU's are a bit easier to cast but with practice the two Penns will hang right with them in most situations. The clickers on the Penns are a bit stouter but as for fish fighting ability both brands do a fine job. Either brand will last years with proper care, my Penn no 9 is a 1964 model.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have several penns that i bought in the 50 s and several that i have bought recently all vintage models.you cant go wrong with the penn 209,309,or if you want reels with out level winds the castmaster 500 or 525 should do ok.i also have severap abus from 5500 c to 7000 c3 i like these reels also.the penns as well as abus will do you a good job.much as i like my penns ill use my 7000 when fishing rocks from the bank cause i need to get the sinker and hook up off bottom and keep it there.the abus have a faster retrive so you can keep an eight ounce sinker coming on.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    John I fish with both Penn and Abu reels, I think they both are very good
    but each has its advantages and disadvantages. I have not used a reel
    that casts heavy line better than an Abu. If I was fighting a big fish I
    would want him on my Abu 7000. The fault of the Abu is it is either in
    free spool or anti reverse engaged. So if you engage the reel and set
    the clicker any line that comes off the reel has to be more than what
    you have the drag set for. You end up loosening the drag when using
    heavy line to keep from having your rod broke or snatched out of the
    boat. The Penn can not cast with the Abu. But you can set the clicker
    without engaging the anti-reverse. The Penn has the advantage when
    bumping bottom you can let line out and take line in without engaging
    the anti-reverse.

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    John: I really like my Abu 6000's. Best reels I have owned. Of course they will still sink to the bottom of the lake if you don't have it in the rod holder. ouch.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I think we should get a 7000 and a sqidder, tie the lines together, and go at it.:smile2:

11. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I think all things equal the squidder would win that one, 4 to1 compared to 3 to1. Better have a well rope connecting them though.:tounge_out:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, another vote for the abu's here. Get ya a 6000 or 6500 and spool it with braided line and it will handle any catfish you get ahold of. If you need more line capacity for distance casting go with the 7000.

13. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use abu garcia, from the 5500 pro rocket to the 7000c3 and everything in between. I've always been happy with them.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have Abu 5000, 6500 and 7000 both are great smooth reels.Have not had a problem out of either. As for Penn I have never used one, But if they were not good reals they would not have stayed around this long.

15. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    the one thing knowbody has mentioned is price. to me its about application first then price vs quality. i cant say penn or abu because they both are great. i have a couple of penns, there big,lots of line, and will haul in a stump. but they wouldnt be my first or second choice bank fishing, i use them for planner boards, baloon rigs, and BIG baits. ive also got a abu 5600 that i love, its smooth as glass, cast great,nice and compact and light, but i wouldnt take it saltwater fishing( i would the penns, there made for it). to me i like penn for big reels, there cheaper but still good quality. you can but two 220gto's for the price of one abu 7000. dont get me wrong the 7000's are nice, and if i had unlimited resources id probably go with them or something nicer. i get saltwater catalogs and there's some nice stuff in them for 100$-200$, a lot of brands im unfamiliar with but if there made for saltwater they should hold-up.

16. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Abu's all the way

17. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    peens are the only way to go have 5 310 gtis and and have had the abu 7000 c3 did not like them took them back for a good old peen

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm with Bill on this one 100% Abu , I use 7000 pro rockets , $169.00 from catfish connection... Never had a problem & have landed several blues from 50 to 70 # I also use 100# power-pro & they cast great !!! :0a26::006:

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lets see I have 1 abu 6500 and the woman uses it..I dont like the gearing in it personalley but it is a great reel.....I now have a 330gti-320gti,couple 309's and 209's if I am big cattin I want a penn myself but Abu does make great reels ...Fer me is a matter of American pride even though Penn has shipped out ..... the company is a U.S.company with a historey that is rich and true..very solid backs no b.s. reels...thye are well built and can handle the abuse I am gonna put on them thru...I do want to get a 700c3i sometime to add to my fishing arsenal though..very nice reels too......my 330 is geared 3:6-1 and Its a caddilac I love it...as fer the 320 I havnt gotta use it yet but that baby is nice and smooth as any I have ever checked out.....Good luck buddy you have some REEL TOUGH DECISIONS to make:wink:

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey yer prety sure yer gonna spank these fella's aint ya(LOL):smile2: