ABU spool adjustment?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bootshowl, Jun 3, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Learning baitcasting with the 6000. Is it normal to have to adjust the spool when changing weights even a small amount? Went from 2oz to 1 & 1/2 oz, an started backlashing a little. Took me awhile to remember, then increased the tension knob a lil, and it stopped. Is this typical or is it my learning curve? Thanks. (I'm asking cause it was dark, an harder for me to use em in the dark.)
    :smile2:

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That is what the adjustment is for.If you are getting just a few backlashes while casting in the dark you are doing good.After more practice you can leave the spool free and control backlash with your thumb.
    Jake

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Until you have totally mastered the bait caster continue to adjust anytime you change weights. You may have to do the same when throwing into the wind. Your just about there you solved your own problem. Good Luck.:big_smile:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Keep practiceing once u get the hang of the baitcaster u wont use anything else.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When you change to a lighter weight or cast into the wind, you usually have to add more spool tension. Don't worry, that's normal.
    The way I set my spool tension, is to reel the weight up to the tip of the rod. Hold the rod at approx. 45 degree angle and tighten the spool tension knob till the weight won't fall in free-spool. While holding the rod, put the reel in free-spool, then back off the tension knob till the weight falls. When the weight hits the ground and the spool stops when it hits, you've got it were it probably won't backlash when the weight hits the water.

Good luck, you're about there.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You will get the hang of it soon. Sounds like you have already. Every time I cast I recheck the tension drop. I have to tighten it down after each cast to keep the bait from pullin out line. So that means I have to loosen it to cast. Thats a big reason I like the 7000's, they have a second adj knob on the left where its easy to get to.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I'm with xringer on this one.....That's the same way I adjust mine....Abu says to put tension on the spool so that when you make a short jerk on the rod, the weight/lure will only drop about ten inches....But I like the other adjustment better....I think Abu is just trying to keep the birdsnest outa tha reel......Dwight

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I've been using baitcasters for around 30 years and still backlash every now and then. Adjusting the spool tension knob will prevent backlash if you tighten it down a little when changing weight of baits. The more you snug it down the less backlash but the trade off is less distance in your cast.

Cheez

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    If you are backlashing at the end of the cast its the adjustment knob, if its at the begining of the cast its the breaking system that needs adjustment.