abu silvermax

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by sirdank, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an abu silvermax. I notice now that when I cast, say a rubber worm to jig (and the spool is locked). If i give it a tug to jig a little bit the spool goes free. This happens alot, I have oiled it and have taken pretty good care of it and I have only had it for one season. I don't know what to think.. sometimes I just wanna chuck it into the canal... lol. It is awfully maddening when you make a "mine backlash" every other cast!! So now I have to hold my thumb on the spool and I hope I don't forget to.

2. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, SD....sounds like the drag washers are tramped up with grease, or oil. I'll round up the schematic, and get back. Meanwhile, if someone else pops by, kewl. Best, KD

3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, SD....Julie at Purefishing was kind enough to send me the schematic, for the RH model.

This reel has one drag washer, and it's not spendy: it's # 1134473, and will retail for about 89 cents.

I suggest you remove it, and replace it with a "carbontex" drag washer from another Abu...one of the core reels. (core reel= a common round one like a 6500C3). Carbontex: Abu's name for their woven carbon fibre cloth cut into drag washers, popularized by Penn as their HT-100 washers.

Then lube this washer with a dedicated drag grease, like Cal's or Shimano.
    These products don't make the washer super gooey.... rather: they make it smooth, but still effective.

The underwasher between the main gear and the driveshaft is 'called' a drag washer, but in reality, gets loaded up with tramp oil and grease, it's merely a spacer.

If you do not have the schematic, you can send me an email or a message, with an email address, and I will send it to you as a pdf attachment. It's about 450K, not big. If anyone else needs same, I'll forward to whomever needs the drawing.

Dawn, at 3w dot smoothdrag dot com, has a whole range of carbontex and other strong drag washers at her website.

Best, KD

4. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you for the help. Much appreciated!

5. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to post one more time so I can send you my e-mail.. lol
    Im gonna try to get another reel soon and I was thinking about an abu6000c3
    or 6500 I know i want something with a bait clicker, and does bradied line work better on a baitcaster? Thanks