Abu reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by steveg442, Sep 19, 2007.

1. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I own a couple of abu reels and my question is why do the ones that appear on ebay and walmart look different than the ones on Abu's website? The model number that Walmart sells (5000C and 6000C) are not listed on the website. I have a 5600C4 and when I see it on ebay mine doesn't look anything like it. Can some please explain the difference? Are these the same quality Abu reels as the ones shown on the Abu website. Why wouldn't all Abu's products be shown on their website?

It's just been bugging me and I had to ask a stupid question.

Thanks.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I think they make lower quality reels for walmart. Some of those EBAY sellers try to pass the cheapers one of as the better ones. :roll_eyes:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i believe abu only puts the newest reels on the website

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I dunno about "lower quality" abus. I've heard people swear up and down that the red ones are cheaper versions. My 6600CBs are red and are all bearing (no bushings). I know that different codes mean different numbers of bearings, etc (there's a ton of that info on this site) but all in all from what I've seen of the Abus I own, most I bought new, some from Ebay, they don't put their name on junk. Might be the difference between a Cadillac with power windows and a Cadillac without power windows between models:wink:

5. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

I was talking to one of the guys at the sporting goods in Liberty today and he was telling me that the current parent company(I heard Berkley, I believe) of Abu has been pulling a lot of the reels from Sweden and having them made in Taiwan, I know some 7000 and 9000 reels are made there now...it'd be my guess that these are the reels at Wally World and some of the other "discount" stores...He also told me that a deal is in the works or has been done already for Abu to be sold to another company...he mentioned Shakespeare, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...perhaps someone else has heard something about this...if you have post up, we're curious.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have gone to the reel parts company I use with the intention of finding a reel that has anything that makes it a walmart reel in the part number. I've spent some time on there trying to find gears or bushings or bearings that had different part numbers than any of the other ones on identical reels. I've never found them. A 6500 made in the early 60's is darn sure different. But once you get to the mid-70's, other than small differences between year models, they are all the same. I use southwestern parts for my parts source, they have an extensive listing of reels with breakdowns. Go see for yourself if you are afraid to buy a wal-mart reel. I have checked the ones my fishing partner bought as part of a combination at wal-mart against ones I have that didn't. They are exactly the same. These are 6000's. Not sure about the Taiwan part, I'd hate to know that was happening.

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Abu Garcia is held by a company called Pure Fishing. They own several other tackle companies. Just google pure fishing. The 6500C4 I bought in 2005 is a Swedish reel, I bought it from Academy. Sweet reel. BTW, I try to avoid going into Wal Mart for any reason, but that's just my take.

8. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    i have a abu 6000 red and a abu 6500kc3 and i have abu 6500 pro rocket they might make cheaps abu's but they are made strong i have pulled in 70+ pounds of catfish on my 6500kc3 that is from k-mart and cought the 60 and 70 pound catfish on my other 100 and 200 dollars abu they are the same i have took all kind of abu's apart they are not made cheap that all i got to say

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The ones on the website are the newest models they are offering. The ones you find on ebay are either used reels, or surplus reels that haven't sold in the stores. They are the same quality as the ones on the website. The majority of the changes they make from year to year is cosmetic.

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have yet to see a top of the line Abu reel for sale at Walmart.

11. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    the walmart here has all of the c3's.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    What makes you say that? Show me a difference in models sold elsewhere with the exact model number. And if you can, then show me a difference in the parts for them. Not being a smart-alec here, but I really do want to see it if it's true. Not just hear it. If I'm gonna fix reels for my friends, I want to make sure I can tell the difference. And so far, I haven't found anything different from the one's they sell to any others.

13. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What are the classification of a "top of the line" Abu reel?? Just curious, thanks.:cool2:

14. finnor

finnor New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i hate it but most reels are made over there,the few made here in the USA are high dollar.
    most of the better reels (ie abu fin-nor,shimano exc) are cnc machined ,so it does not make much difference who pushes the button.
    my concern is the materials they are made of.i agree with WHISTLER ,from the 70s on they all look the same to me except for some cosmetic changes.
    i hate walley world.

gators can't climb trees

15. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have to agree with jb434 look at wal-mart gun people always say i can get the same guy at wal-mart way cheaper and then you have to explane you can but once you break it do to clean it and and lil pice of plastic and cheap pop metal pices fall out :crazy: your mad the large gun company sales gun with cheaper part to wal-mart and that also gose with fishing reels! sorry but the truth

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Jarden, Inc now owns Pure Fishing. As for Abu reels at Wal Mart, Abu makes a number of reels sold by retailers with special designations. Academy sells one that I haven't seen at other places, has one bearing. Abu also makes many reels that do not show up on the web site. As for quality, the only real difference has to do with the number of bearings, or bushings rather than bearings. Bushings are NOT necessarily lesser than bearings. If you fish sandy areas, the bushings will hold up better unless you clean your reels often.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id guess revo, record, or like reel

18. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Walmart will stock products that they think will sell. They do not have the space to stock hi end items that will be slow moving. I say if you asked them to order you a high end reel they could. The same with their camping gear, they sell tents and sleeping bags but no top end things. The weekend warrior is just looking for a tent for a camp out, someone who is looking for top of the line gear will go to someone who sells more top end things like a sporting goods store (bass pro or dicks sporting goods or etc.). They quit selling firearms for the same reason, they took up to much space for what few they sold.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wal-mart has a few middle end reels in their display cases. I once saw a middle end Shimano and Daiwa sitting in their case and was a bit shock to see that Wal-mart even had these middle end models( i believe one was a Shimano Stradic). I guess they and Kmart realize that most of their shoppers are budget minded and don't see the rational in stocking a $200 or $300 reel. As they aren't targeting that type of consumer. They do contract with other companies to make things just for them them just as any other mass merchandiser. I don't use bait casters so I cant really comment on them. I did buy a Shimano reel once a Sonora and it was a Sonora not a cheaper version. I don't think Shimano builds cheaper versions of their reels but that's Shimano. If you look at their online catalogues you will see that K-mart and Wal-mart have different offerings. Especially suprising was that Kmart had several fishing tackle offerings as oppose to their store. The K-marts around these parts have pretty much elimanted most their fishing tackle. A buddy of mine that works for K-mart says their fishing items don't sell very well and thats the reason they have downsized that area.