ABU Reels - Swedish or Taiwanese?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by twphantom, May 14, 2007.

1. twphantom

twphantom New Member

State:
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi all,

Been looking at ABU 7000's on eBay, can someone tell me when the reels were last made in Sweden, rather than designed in Sweden, made in Taiwan? (I've heard some less than flatttering comments about the Taiwanese version, don't want to buy one )

Thanks

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the Abu 7000 are made in Taiwan and the new 6500C3's and under are still made in Sweden. Oh I forgot, Welcome to the BOC, Trevor.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I can't answer your question but I have 2 9000's assembled in Taiwan with NO Problems.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i would be more in a give a hoot stance... if they didnt come with the same type warranty. i sent one to them that used to belong to my grandfather and it came back better than new. ive also lost parts and pieces while cleaning. they charged me for the parts and of course postal but it was still cheap and both reels work great now. (dont take apart and clean fishing reels around small children) besides neither sweden or taiwan is u.s.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trevor Welcome to the BOC. Good to meet you on line. I have several 7000c3 of both types. No problems with either. There is still sales companies that should have some of the swedens in stock. When you order, request what you want. If that is the only way they can make the sale, they will surprise you.:lol:

6. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    pure fishing is the company that owns abu they are located in Iowa. they also own berkley,finwick,mitchell,johnson,stren and spider wire. if you have any problems just go to their web site.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got reels made in both countries and they are all great reels. I don't have any problems with any of them other than normal wear. I'm just glad they're not made in Iran or Seria, I wouldn't buy them then for sure!:angry:

8. twphantom

twphantom New Member

State:
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks, xRinger3, much appreciated.

trevor

9. twphantom

twphantom New Member

State:
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks, BigB, didn't know that. Just bought a second-hand 7000 off eBay, to replace my old one purchased 1980 - didn't wear it out, it went overboard in about 60' of water.:smile2:

10. twphantom

twphantom New Member

State:
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks, Mickey - my local tackle store won't stock ABU 7000's. will try online, but have bought one used one off eBay already. Works ok now I've stripped it, cleaned the grit out (!) and relubed it.]Trevor Welcome to the BOC. Good to meet you on line. I have several 7000c3 of both types. No problems with either. There is still sales companies that should have some of the swedens in stock. When you order, request what you want. If that is the only way they can make the sale, they will surprise you.:lol:[/quote]

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love my new 7000iC3 all I can say is ( 非常 ) :big_smile:

12. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    that 7000iC3 is one sweet reel i've had mine a couple months works like dream... abu is all i use low profile and round baitcaster...has anyone tried the new revo stx it cast smooth as silk

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    How'd you do that?

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ah Shawn you just have to look LOL

アンペア時ショーンちょうどLOLを見なければならない

shawn啊,你剛剛看lol

Amperestunde Shawn mußt du LOL nur schauen

Gotta love the internet :smile2:

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I saw a sporting good supply website posted on here by someone else and checked it out. It was Rogers Sporting Goods out of Liberty Mo. The reels were as cheap as the poster stated!

I ordered a ABU 9000BG on Friday for 69.99. It shipped on Saturday, and got here today! WOW!!!!!!!! They're running 7000C3s for 99.99 and 7000Bs for 69.99. I've not ever seen them that cheap!!!!!!!! WHAT A DEAL! If you get the 7000B, all you have to do is spend about 10 bucks on two spool bearings to replace the bushings and will have a green 7000C3.

Just thought I'd pass it on, it's the reel deal and a great savings.

16. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have both reels that perform flawlessly. Some guys will pay more for the Sweden reel and only want the made in Sweden reels.

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm still having a hard time getting used to things in America...I went to BPS tonight an picked up a new Ugly Stick to go on my Swedish ABU....it's made in China. Sad. Lil oriental kid over there going, "Ahs a atfish?"
    Do we even make our own money now, or is the treasury dept. out sourcing that?
    I sure will be glad when the rich folk have all the money. Maybe we can get back to being a nation again.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know just what you mean Gary, tell ya what I'm willing to do for you. Hows about I out source your catfish for ya! lol:eek:oooh: :smile2: