ABU Reel Mod Question

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Spider, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Has anyone installed a clicker in an ABU reel that didn't have one from the factotry? I have a 5601 LH reel and would really like to have a clicker in it. If anyone has done this, I'd be real interested in knowing how you did the mod. I've seen a U-Tube video but it wasn't the best quality and rather short and undetailed. That one used a second side cover to determine the slot shape and location, something I don't have to use as a comparison/template.

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I took the parts from one of my 6501C3 reels and put the clicker on my 5501C3 and it worked fine. If you get the parts it should work.

3. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Wow thank guys i never new you could do that!:tounge_out:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    2nd that duh:smile2: well i know what ill be doin lol!

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    OK; Now that I picked up a bargin ABU 6601CB with a clicker (Cabela's Bargin Cave) and got two parts bids on Ebay, I'll be able to convert my ABU 5601CB to a clicker once the parts come. The clicker assembly is the newer type with the plate and springs, the same as on my 6601CB. I want to photograph the process steps and write down any dimensions. As long as it goes well, I'll post a "How To" when I get in converted. The procedure, parts, and lever slot will be different from the style in the link above since that is the older style clicker. I don't know if this will work on BCX reels. I already checked the outside diameter on the 5601 and 6601 side covers and they are identical. This looks like it should not be very difficult of a modification and the end result will be a 5601CB that was not even available with a clicker. The clicker parts cost me $10 with shipping on Ebay. I'll post when I can, I don't see this mod taking more than about a hour or two from start to finish.