Abu Problem

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mtrimble, May 21, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I drove nine hours to fish the in lower white river national refuge for a week. After three days of heavy fishing my line would only reel in one one side of my spool. I took apart my 6500 C3 and noticed half of the teeth had been worn down on the plastic (plastic!?) gear that moves the line guide back and forth. I switched to a relatively new 5500 back up reel and the next day the exact same problem occured. Is this just bad luck or a common problem with Abus? Are there metal replacement parts for these cheap plastic gears?

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I am not sure what the problem but maybe you got some bug spray on the plastic it can really eat it up stel replacement sounds like a god idea I have many ambasseders 3 6000 that have sen hard use but I am realy care ful with the bug juice( don't want to contaminate the bait) I would like to hear more on this.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I believe what you need are replacement pawl gears. They're relatively inexpensive. I'm not sure where to get them but I bet another Brother will jump on here pretty quick and straighten you out.

4. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The only time I see this problem is when the worm gear or pawl are dirty or hung up. That is about the only thing that could cause that unless you let some sand get into the reels. Look in the worm gear housing and see if there is some build up of some sort. It is easy to replace the cog gear. I am not sure what year reels you have. If the cog gear is held on by a screw or a c-clip then the part number is 5152. If the cog gear just snaps in place then its probably a 21800. The old part number was 21304 for the newer reels, but abu changed the design of it and the part number. If you have your schematics to those reels, 21304 is now 21800. You might want to have someone tear down those reels and give them a good cleaning and check the pawl and worm along with the plastic bushings or bearings. I hope this helps you out.

5. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Oh yea. The best place I have found to buy parts from is Southwestern Parts and Service in Texas. They have the best prices that I have seen. I order from them quite frequently. Gear is $2.90, I think and a pawl is $3.00. Can't remember of the top of my head, but that is close. Then of course you have shipping charges!!!!

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Bug Spray!? No kidding?!

Well I was using repellant. The mosquitoes would have eaten me alive otherwise. Maybe, it did get in there. I was using 100% DEET spray. How did you find out about that? Thanks for the part info. Does that place have a website? The cog gear sounds like the part Im having trouble with. The long cylinder (worm gear?) doesn't even turn. The plactic gear inside the housing opposite the handle is the one that is worn down to a nub. These reels were pretty clean at the time of the problem. Do Penn reels hold up a little better to stuff like this. This problem was so frustrating it has got me considering switching brands to something tougher.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Why not just go to the Academy on NW 63rd street. They have pawls and other repair parts for Abu's. There is another in Edmond, if thats closer.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Exactly what i was goin to say. But im not to sure if they are still careing the parts anymore i know i seen alot of parts on clearance a while back havent been in there since.

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I wasn't aware of Acadamy carrying Abu parts. Thanks.