Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Here is a video you may have already screen.

I own 10 to 15 Abu Garcia reels in the 6500c3 and 7000 version. All but one or two have power handles that I added. NONE are the $200 + reels but rather the plain old 6500c3 with two spool bearings and 1 anit-reverse roller bearing.

Now there is nothing wrong with buying the Catfish Special if that is what you want but the increase in price is for the power handle and special paint.

The Catfish Pro Rocket is a little different. It has the power handle, the clicker selector has moved to the side but is still just a clicker, the additional axle cap on the left side plate, an extra bearing and some very attractive colors. I spent some time searching to find out where the 4th bearing was and could not find out. The most likely place would be on the worm gear of the level wind. But they are careful not to identify the location.

If you look at it realistically, they are just dressed up 6500C3s. This isn’t putting them down. They are a time tested excellent reel. But Abu Garcia has a problem. Their standard Swedish made 6500C3 was so good that they last forever. That means they can only sell new reels to NEW fishermen. To get additional sales for the company, they come out with special versions.

Personal Opinion: If you want to spend the extra cash on the Catfish Special or Pro Rocket, you will get a beautiful, excellent reel. If you want a great time tested Abu casting reel, the standard 6500C3 is everything the other two are, minus some paint, a 20 dollar power handle and in the Pro Rocket a 4th bearing that will make very little difference in the number of fish you catch.

It is nice having a choice and I am sure you will like which ever reel you decide on.

tight lines

· Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
1,648 Posts
The extra bearing in a c4 is on one end of worm gear c5 has bearings on both ends of worm c6 bearing in big plastic cog that turns worm c7 has 2 bearing in the big cog
I have played with up grading several it all maybe 10 15 yards more distance just one bearing in the big cog made noticeable difference

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont mind paying a little more for what i want but im not willing to pay extra for paint when they will get beat up on the boat anyway.. now of there is a noticeable difference in reliability or performance ill pay extra for that.. I picked up a couple pro rockets for $100 ea and i just sent them out to verns reel repair for maintenance and check up.. I typically will do it myself but vern is great and will notice things that I wont so its worth $18 to know im good for the season when i get them back... he does supertunes and such but ive never had one done to know if it was worth it

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Sounds like you have a good process for getting a reel refurbished and saving some cash as well. Supertuning as they call it is often just polishing surfaces that might cause a little friction.

I have no issues with someone spending money to get what they want. But, it is often good to get a good product and save a little cash for other things needed. There always seem to be other things needed especially when you have a boat.

We will be looking forward to some pictures when you get the chance to put those reels to work.

tight lines

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you have a good process for getting a reel refurbished and saving some cash as well. Supertuning as they call it is often just polishing surfaces that might cause a little friction.

I have no issues with someone spending money to get what they want. But, it is often good to get a good product and save a little cash for other things needed. There always seem to be other things needed especially when you have a boat.

We will be looking forward to some pictures when you get the chance to put those reels to work.

tight lines
Im going to be getting a 2006 suntracker regency 25.. i didnt want a pontoon boat to fish out of but with a family of 5 it will be the best option and i wont have to pick and choose which kids get to go and the ohio river is only 25min. Away so it should work out.. what part of indiana are you from?

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Currently I am about 35 miles SW of Indy. I fish the local reservoirs for channels and the West fork of the White River which has some good size flatheads and a rare blue cat now and then. Several times a year I get down to the Ohio River but it is a 130 mile drive each way.

I have had a lot of boats in my lifetime and currently have 5 boats and three with trailers. My best boat is a 20 ft Lowe Roughneck, tiller version. It is just a big wide open aluminum boat. I sold a 21 ft Lowe Sun Tracker pontoon to get the Roughneck.

Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

Water Sky Boat Vehicle Cloud

I have had both on the Ohio and enjoyed both.

tight lines

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Now if you look at the end of the Pro Rocket box that has the specs on it, it shows the Pro Rocket having 4 beatings instead of the typical 3. It does not say where that extra bearing is located.

As far as EXTRA tension adjuster goes I can’t see where it does much. I would have to look at the Pro Rocket schematic to see if each of the two cast tension adjusters have an O-ring on them. If they both do not have an O-ring, the one without the O-ring has to be tightened down to it will continue to move changing the adjustment as it does. So, it ends up being no more different that the standard Abu reel with just one cast tension adjuster. It there is an O-ring on both adjusters, you can adjust the spool tension as well as use it to center the spool. Centering the spool should not be needed though so it still doesn’t do much.

Now this sounds like I do not like the Abu reel but that isn’t right. I have 10 or 12 of the 6500s and 4 or 5 of the 7000s. I also gave another 4 to my son. They are an outstanding reel that has proven itself with years of use by thousands of fishermen. They are the go to reel when another company wants to copy a design for their so called new reel.

If a fisherman wants to spend the money for the Special reels or the Catfish Pro models they are getting a good reel. If a fisherman wants to save a little because funds are a little tight, the standard Abu Garcia 6500c3 that is stamped MADE IN SWEDEN at a cost of about $120 is an excellent choice and will fish just as well as the more expensive models.

Just to be sure you know, the Walmart model 6500X or that sells new for around 65 dollars is not the same quality of the made in Sweden reels. They are more of an “I can’t afford a good reel” so I will get this one made in China. The good part is you still get to go fishing.

Another note is that there are Abu 7000s made in China also but they do seem to keep the high standards of the Swedish models.

just my opinion.

· Registered
11 Posts
Not sure if this helps. Here's the schematics for the Rocket Pro (bottom) and Catfish Pro (top). Although they look the same the rocket pro has an extra bearing in the worm gear and the centrifugal brakes are removable where as they are not on the brake assembly for the catfish pro.
And yes I'm a sucker for paint schemes so I ponied up the extra cash for the Catfish Pro thinking it was the same as the Rocket Pro only to find out it has one less bearing.
Handwriting Font Drawing Paper Illustration

Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Gas Engineering

· Registered
992 Posts
For some reason I think the reason's for up grades is no more than to raise the price of a product. Seem's I asked a year or so ago about the difference between the ABU 6500 and the then new Catfish Special. Was told the major difference was the paint sceme but added a bearing also. How much difference will the one bearing make. As I recall at that time I could have got a 6500 made in Sweeden for about $90 and the Catfish special was somewhat over $150! That's about $60 for one bearing and a different paint job! I have loved ABU's for a long time but they have now priced me out of their league!

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Not sure if this helps. Here's the schematics for the Rocket Pro (bottom) and Catfish Pro (top). Although they look the same the rocket pro has an extra bearing in the worm gear and the centrifugal brakes are removable where as they are not on the brake assembly for the catfish pro.
And yes I'm a sucker for paint schemes so I ponied up the extra cash for the Catfish Pro thinking it was the same as the Rocket Pro only to find out it has one less bearing.
View attachment 332859
View attachment 332860
I think that the bearing is under the cog gear isn’t it Viper. I had not noticed that when I looked at it last. The worm gear, cover and right side support piece look the same.

The cog gear is pressed on which would make it difficult to service/lube that bearing. If you are not very careful removing that cog gear you will damage the side cover. There is a slight ridge on the plastic cog gear that snaps into a groove in the outer end of the spindle. The best way is to take a sharp knife and cut that little ridge off. That will allow the cog gear to slide off. Service the bearing then use the small C clip to hold the cog gear in place after that. That also lets the cog gear spin a little more freely.

Nothing wrong with spending a little extra to get what you want.

Luckily for me, the model that I always thought looked the best was the standard model. My brother bought me a used Orange one and I bought the rest off of eBay.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Electric blue Machine Automotive design

tight lines

1 - 17 of 17 Posts