Abu or shimano

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigmaac73, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I have an abu-garcia 6000 and a shimano corvalus cvl400. Just wondering which reel is more powerfull. I really like both reels and am having a hard time deciding which one to take as my second flathead rig.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend the Abu 6000 its a good reel, I have one its been good to me.

3. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    what kind of experience have you had with the corvalus

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I peronally have no experience with the corvalus but shimano makes a great product as does abu , i've said it a million times before confidence is what matters on the trophy quest go with what you know and take the other for a backup in case of emergency .

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Never have use a Shimano Reel before, I hear good things about them.

6. Willowcat

Willowcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    The Shimano is more dependable and will last longer than any AbuGarcia...jim

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I would say it depends on "which" 6000 you have. If you have a walmart special then the shimano might have an edge.. if you have a swedish made abu, then that would be my choice.

For me, shimano's are reserved for eating fish, not trophy fish (with a very few exceptions). As I mentioned some where else here.. I have a few left, but they stay home when I'm "serious" fishing... My step son loves my Calcutta on a 7' G.Loomis for "keeper" size cats. It's great for him because it's like a baitcaster with training wheels.. he cant blow it up like he can and does with my Ambassadors.

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    im not familiar with the corvalus reel, although I fish with a baitrunner 6500. It has a very smooth drag and i feel could go toe to toe with my abu 7000. Shimano is a reputable company with a quality product. It may just come down to personal preference.

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 6 of the abu 6500's and there Swedish made, as well as 3 of the 6000 abu combo's with the Berkley lightning rods. These all came from my local WalMart. The abu's my boss recently bought are "red" 7000's and there from C H I N A..............Oh yea, he loves them, so I guess its up to the individual. I do like my Shamano Tekota's also. The smaller abu's (to me) are'nt heavy duty enough for fishing in HEAVY current with lots of wieght, untill you get up in size (7000's and up).

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Oh man I already have posted to this question.

11. JJ Hunt

JJ Hunt New Member

State:
    MS
    I like the shimano myself

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have abu's and shimano's. but my shimano that i use for cats and reds is a corsair i think. ive had it so long i quit paying attention to the model number. anyway, to me it is every bit as powerful. the drag works wonderfully, and the bait clicker hasnt given me any problems yet. however, i think the abu casts farther. i dont know man, i usually cast them all out. if i had to pick between one and the other, it would prolly come down to which one was allready rigged up.

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Im not familiar with the Shimano products,however i have three of the garcia 6000 reels and have landed some hefty cats on them. Mine are swedish made that i bought off ebay. Ive heard some talk on here about some of the abu's being made in china, id have to stay away from these myself, thats just my opinion. Id bet they are definately cheap made probably with alot more plastic gearing inside. But there are good and bad in just about any type of product so sometimes its just trial and error to see which one is right for you. So far, im totally satisfied with the garcias... rspd507

14. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
  15. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I don't know anything about the Corvalus but have several Abu's up to the 7000 and love then all. They have never failed me in anyway, but go with what you believe in and what is mroe comfortable to you.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have 5 or 6 of the china Abus (4 9000's & 1 7000 plus a 6000)
    They have given me absolutely no problems.

I have had smaller shimano spinning reels and they are the best spinning reels I have ever used. I would guess that if used properly (right size for species) either would be a good bet.

17. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I own three abu's and never had any problem with them. I guess that why I never had experience with shimanos. My abu's have been great.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Just recently I was introduced to the Shimano Tecota's They are by far the smoothest big game reel, that I have ever used, and I have been using Penn 220 GTO's and Abu 7000's. I plan on upgrading 2 of my rigs with Shimano's for sure before next season starts.:wink:

19. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have and use a 7000 abu and haven't had any problems at all. I also went with a guide this year and he used shimano tekotas. They were nice reels. I did like the fack that they were smaller and lighter than my 7000 and held just as much line. As for power i think that as long as they have metal gears the one with the highest gear ratio is better for the big fish. By higher gear I mean lower numerically.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    dang those are $$$$ you should introduce yourself to a pflueger contender g30 same size and price as the 220gto but way smoother with a stronger drag and cast brake.