Abu or Penn

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by micah5634, Mar 11, 2007.

1. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    ok the boat will be here in 8 days trying to get ready for the 1st trip to truman lake.I bought 4 quantum rods 2 heavy for river duty and 2 med/heavy for lake duty since my first trip will be to the lake i need 2 reels for the med/heavy rods i have it narrowed down to either the new abu 6500 big game at 95.00 or the penn 310gti at 89.00.I know the penn holds a little more line looking for comments good or bad on these 2 reels.

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    for lake fishing, id go with the abu 6500 big game

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I just ordered penn 320 gt2, because penn holds more line.

4. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd go to ebay and buy 2 Abu 6000's for about the price of one 6500 BG. Just my opinion. You probably can't go wrong with either reel you mentioned.

5. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Well both reels are good choices. If it were me id go with the penn because it holds more line. It is better to have it and not need it, then it is to need it and not have it. Just in case grandaddy wiskers decides to run a marathon after you stick him

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Both are good reels.If Yellacat is right about getting two 6000's for the price of the 6500 I would go that way if the 6000's have clickers.
    Jake

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well ya abu 6000's have clickers.

they are both great reels but after having penns and abus im swaping out my penns for abus. the abus are great reels and are a bit more compact. for inland fishing abus have my vote. now if i were going for tuna in 100# class on a party boat outing ide go with a penn. a two speed reel if yaare going on a long haul for bluefin. but lakes, ide take the abu. JMHO!

and ive listed a vintage penn 210 in great shape in the swap meet.

8. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Trust me, go with the Abu's. I have both Abu 6000 and 6600 and a Penn 320GTI. The Abu is more compact, MUUUCH better casting and is tractor simple to teardown and put back together for mantenance. To tore my 320 down about 4 years ago and had to pay a man to put it back together. The Penn is great for cranking the fish to the boat (I call mine "The Winch") but it is not a casting reel. Most on here don't realize it but that reel is made for trolling for strippers and medium sized ocean fish. It is definitly not made for distance casting. If you can half way cast a baitcasting reel you can throw the abu's a mile. They are very smooth, great looking, and very reliable.

9. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i would go with penn 209s they are bulletproof hold about 320yds of20# and be bought at ebay for about 25.00 plus ship.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would go with the Abu 6000 or 6500 they are more compact and are easy to use.

11. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i have 2 big game 6500's -i havent used them yet but they apear to be just like my 6500c3's exept-they are black and chrome-they have a power handle-the button you use to engage the clicker is on the side and its metal(same as a 7000c3).All features that i am happy with.they were alittle costly but they should last a lifetime.

12. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Abu Garcia Baby, the best reels in the world!!! Can handle any catfish of any size, but most of all it is a HIGH QUALITY!!! reel and VERY, VERY DURABLE!!! If you're worried about not haven' enough line like some of the others have posted, don't worry because maybe they have not used the Abu 7000C3's, which hold enough line to bring in anything, if you do it right. Don't get me wrong Penn's are also great reels, but nowhere near as good as an Ambassedeur, Just My Opinion.:smile2:
    Oh YEAH- and another thing that I almost forgot about these reels, you get great casting distance with all Abu's and they are the smoothest reels I have ever seen.

13. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i myself prefer penn reels because they have long lasting use and good quality. have had a couple of abu reels and i think there ok, penn is my choice.

14. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    They are both great reels so the good news is I don't think you can go wrong either way. Personally I would glo with the Penn because of their experience in building big game reels, dependability, ease of maintenace, and the fact they are practically bullet proof. I have had a 209 longer than I can remember and it has never failed me for a second despite what I would have to say it less than stellar maintenance on my part. It probably boils down to your personal preference and how you intend to use it. Wish you luck.
    :cool2:

15. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    My opion which is far from any kind of profession would be if you are bank fishing an Ambassadeur 7000C3 or 6500C3 would be my choice do to the ease of casting--the 7000c3 is as easy or if not easier to cast than the 6500 in my opinion. If I had a boat I'd go with either the 7000c3 or Penn 310 or 320, you won't have to cast as far and as I've read on here they have a better drag system on the reel. Also the Jigmaster 500M which is an older model Penn reel can be bought on ebay for under 50.00 and would probably beat the performance of either reel and it hold tons of line. I personally own 2 Penn 320 GT2'S, 2 Abu-Garcia 7000C3's and a Penn 500M, the 500M has a non level wind reel and it takes a day or so of practicing to get used to but it is diffantly built like a horse.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it depends on what you got already. you sound like you want a varity of sizes for different situations witch is a good idea. so if your other reels are big penns get you a smaller abu or viseversa. having the best of both worlds is grrreat.

17. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks for all the comments I already have a abu 7000ic3 thats listed in the forsale section but since it has not sold i think i will buy a penn 310gti and take the penn and the abu out on my first trip and do a little comparison to see which one i like better then sell the other one may have to throw in a abu big game 6500 in the comparison.

18. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have never used a Penn, so I won't speculate on which is better. I do know that I just bought my 3rd Abu last week and I love them all. I can't recall off the top of my head which model #'s I have but I know all 3 are different models. They do cast very well and I am not a baitcaster kinda guy. I would probably not include line capacity in the equation unless there was an extreme difference in the 2. The chances of getting spooled with one and not the other is unlikely, if you're gonna get spooled, you're gonna get spooled. What are the chances of a fish taking anywhere near 300 yds of line and not getting to a brush pile or some other means of escape. IMHO I just can't see where a few extra yards of line is that critical. (Knock on wood).

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its simple, Abu is smoother, probably casts farther. Penn is tougher and will handle most anything you come up against.

20. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Exactly! Both are great reels but used a little differently. You casting to things like current breaks at dams on big rivers? Probably Abu. You going in the nasty stuff after monster flatties? Probably Penn. Both are great, for different applications. But like others have said, can't go wrong with either.