Abu model numbers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by uapipefitter, Feb 17, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    ha fella's lookin at abu's and the numbers are confusing to me.do the lower numbers mean less capacity and grunt?kinda like a f150 vs. f350?thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, think you have the abu's mixed up with Fords. I went to the abu site on the web and asked them about their model numbers. Guess I got the Sweden site, as they sure could not understand what I was asking in English - 3 or 4 different ways. I don't believe the numeric designations have to do with capacity. That is just the model number. Course some models like a 7000, which is a much larger reel than the normal abu does hold more line. Then the designators of "C4" and such indicates the number of ball bearings. BG is "Big Game", HS is "High Speed", N is "narrow"...and thats about all I could get them to understand. LOL

3. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the numbers mean something as to what series they are and line capacity ... each reel designed in 1000 increments is a particular series of spool capacity like everything in the 7000 series all has the same sized spool same with 6000, 5000, 4000 ... the smaller the series number, the smaller the reel.

the 6000 series have changes to the second number like 6500 ... though it's a larger number it just means that there were modifications to that 6000 series reel like most 6000's came out they had a solid shaft going throught he spool and they turned inside bearings or bushings that were located in the side plates ... the 6500 which is the same sized spool had the bearings or bushings located in the spool which was called the ultracast style spool ... if it was just a red c model 6000 that meant it was solid shaft with bushings in the side plates .. if it was a 6500 red c model then it had the bushings in the spool itself, ultracast style.

7000 series reels had a lot of diffent ones in it as well but most of them were just tagged onto the letters like 7000ctc3, 7000CLC3, 7000C3, 7000C, 7000CSC3 rocket and so on but they also had 7500C3 which had the same spool and everything but with just one change and that was gear ratio increase to 5.3:1 which was the same as the black 7000CLC3 big game at 5.3:1 and the only difference I can find between the 7500c3 and the 7000CLC3 is the color of the side plates with the 7500c3 having chrome covers and the CLC3 having black anodyzed covers. there may be a few other minor changes in them but I can't see them and I've had both of them apart hundreds of times. the 7800 was the exact same as the 7000c3 but it was gold plated.

most of these changes inside series levels are just marketing strategy which plays on a guy's thinking ... it's a guy thing in other words ... they see a new design of reel and even though they have 3 or 4 good abu reels and they see a new model with all the hype written about it on the specs but no specific changes in that one to the next one then they sell a new reel just because of the model # changes ... they don't specify that this model is better than the last one they purchased but it looks different or it's got a new model number ... if they made only one model number reel like 7000c3 which really didn't need any modifications and they stuck with that then people wouldn't feel the need to buy another 7000c3 when the one or five they already own are working great ... most changes you see in each series are for marketing to get people to buy new reels and nothing more. when a design of a reel is changed only by the color of the side plates then it makes people think ... oh cool .. I gotta get me one of those but then it's just like the rest of them you've already purchased. newer is better .. different is better ... it's a guy thing.

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks tiny, great info clears alot of my wondering up.thx

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Good grief, Tiny. Great info, looks like you could write a book on abu's. :big_smile:

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Tony Your The Man!!! I for one Feel You Know Just What your talking about!! Thanks For All You add to the BOC. Your New Friend and Boc Brother.J.D.:0a25: :0a31: :0a31: :0a31: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    5000 Big
    6500 Bigger
    7000 Biggest

:big_smile:

Each one does hold more line than the last.

All those other numbers and letters mean all kinds of different stuff,,,LOL!!:lol:

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Capacity and size increase with the incremental number increase for the reel number. ie 5500C3 to 6500C3 Those with the 01 at the end of the number are the left crank reels. Those with the 00 at the end are the right crank. C designates the number of bearings. ie C3 has 3 bearings. Levelwind is designated by CS or CL. CL is most often linked to big game reels, which are the saltwater reels with the brass side plates. CT is the non levelwind reels like the 6500C3CT (Blue Yonder) or the discontinued 7500C3CT.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Trent, Welcome to the BOC.