Abu line capacity

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Feb 22, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    How many yards of 30lb. test mono line will an abu 6500 reel hold? Thanks

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont have a 6500 but i do have a 7000 and it holds close to 200 yards none the less i doubt you can throw it all off . i use 30# biggame and with my 10' rod and 5oz i can only throw 112 paces about 125 yards

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good question.I have the same set-up and have also wondered.I'd say someone will know before long.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know how much 30lb test my 6000/6500 reels will hold. I tried 25lb test one time and didn't have enough left on the reel for a big fish to make a good run. I stick to 20lb test on these reels, and use my 7000s for the heavyer line and long casts. I stick to the Big Game. It's stronger than most lines in the stated weight range, and thinner. My 25lb Big Game is about the same diameter as the cheaper brands of 20lb test.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe most lines are about the same diameter for the pound test, however, there is bound to be a few thousands of an inch diameter difference. This would mean that no two reels should hold the same amount of line. I would imagine when a commercial company says their reel will hold "x" amount of line, they are talking about strict, controlled tests which produce the results they advertise. A human probably would not reel the line onto the spool with the same tension, so the amount will vary. I have yet to buy a spool of line and put all of it on the reel. Just don't happen. Always need a little extra line for leaders and such. So, in the great words of Bill Murray talking about the infamous ground hog - it just doesn't matter.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Most of the fishing I do,I don't need tons of line...Yet! LOL!

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can estimate to a degree by looking at the two or three biggest line dimensions Abu mentions. But, I would suspect that with 30 lb test, probably less than 200. If you need higher test and more capacity, go to braid or get a bigger reel.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    There is a line capacity calculator that is available online.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I read an article about distance casting (I think it was) where it stated to start with a bare spool. Reel one complete turn of line onto the spool... then measure how much line you had.... for sake of arguments lets say it was 1/4 foot. Fill your reel up as you normally would. On the last turn of line, measure how much it is with a full spool... say 1 1/2 foot. By their logic, if you subtract the smaller figure from the larger, you would get approximately how much line is retrieved per one turn of the handle. Spool all the line off and reel it back onto the reel, counting the full turns of the reel handle. Multiply the two figures together and that would give you the approximate amount of line your reel would hold. Seems like too much trouble to go to, I would be happy if I had enough line to get to the water. I'd love to catch a 80 or hundred pound blue, but I have better chances of winning the lottery than that. Probably be happier with the lottter too. LOL

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can either go with braided line or stick with 20 lb test line.