Abu lifetime warranty

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyjake, Apr 30, 2007.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a 5000 and a 6000 that was bought sometime before 1975 and think they may qualify for a lifetime warranty.They are both still usable but the 5000 drag is about gone and it is a little loose.The 6000 is noisy and a little rough when casting,so much so I hardly use it anymore.Have searched this forum and Google for some information on this.Does anyone here know if the reels qualify for warranty and if so how and where to get it.
    Thanks
    Jake

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Give Abu Garica a call and see if ur reels are cover under lifetime warranty. The 5000 and 6000 are good reels. I have a 5000 that I use for bass fishing and a 6000 that I use for catfishing both are good reels.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm trying to get some stuff together to improve my odds this year. Being on e-bay. Seeing a lot of ads for "factory reconditioned" ABU's.....any you folks know what that means? Did they not get it right the first time? Think it's a safe bid?
    :smile2:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lifetime warranty? I'll have to check that out. My Abu 6500 levelwind bit the dust on the Pickwick trip while casting a topwater lure for stripers.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary I bought several ABU's that where factory reconditioned. They came in a plain white box from ABU with the reel models on them. The only thing I can see is the bottom of the reel seat has a mark ground in it so it shows being reconditioned at the factory. I do not know where all the rebuilt reels come from on EBAY but there seems to be a lot of them. I am happy with all of the ones I have bought so far...nothing wrong with any of them. I kinda went crazy this winter buying reels on there, I've got more than enough now...but I still look for "a good deal" on there, I just hope my wife will understand...it's addicting!LOL

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    They stopped the lifetime warranty on the reels about 15 years ago. The good thing is they will repair or replace the reel.

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Are you saying the warranty is still in effect on my 30+ year old reels?
    Jake

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    As long as you have the paper stating life time warranty. I know a guy that got a new reel from the lifetime warranty.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Here is the answer from a warranty repair site. It's an excerpt from a reel repair company's FAQ page.

5. How do I determine if my Abu-Garcia reel is covered under the liftetime warranty?

Answer: Any ambassadeur reel manufactured from 1984-1991 is covered under the lifetime warranty. You can locate you serial number on the bottom of the reel foot which will tell you the date your reel was manufactured. Normally, the first 2 numbers in the serial number is the manufacturer's date. Example: 85-0 86-87 indicates a 1985 model reel.

Here's the link to that page:

http://www.fishingreelrepair.com/faq.asp

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Mine are probably out of the warranty range being too old if my memory hasn't failed me.6000 serial is 010902.The 5000 serial in not readable.Looks like it was put on with individual hand stamps and some weren't hit hard enough.
    Jake