ABU LEVELWIND QUESTION

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bw69r, Jun 21, 2009.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    was wondering what in your folks opinion was the farthest casting Abu levelwind reel or best overall Abu levelwind based on you folks experiences with them.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know that there is a "best" as each of us fishes slightly different. The match of your reel, line, pole, and the weight of the bait and sinker will each effect distance, as well, I may add, as a head wind or a tail wind. The thing you have to do is find a rig that is balanced for you and forget about everyone else and their rigs.

3. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    More info needed like what you intend to fish for fishing for blues or flatheads channel cat and so on. Everyone has a favorite reel they like buy the one that suits your needs smaller reels seem to cast just as far as some of the bigger reels they just dont have the line capt as the bigger reels.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    From my personal expereince with the Abu reels, my 6500c Chrome Rocket does an awesome job of casting far. With a 2oz weight and power pro 14 dia and 65 break strength, matched to my 7'6" custom rod. I can cast that weight a good 90-100 yds. That's my estimated assumption of distance. Would like to try it on a football field sometime to see for sure!! My 7000c can throw some weight to. It's a great caster to. Rod length really determines casting distance too. Weight, line is configured too.

It's all in the casting technique!!:wink: Also you have to mess with the spool tension knob to find the sweet spot. To much tension results in a close distance cast. Not enough tension results in a bad birds-nest!! Practice, Practice, Practice!!

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Probably the biggest factor, is having spool bearings, not bushings,,and, having them clean and lubricated lightly.
    I haven't used a reel with the bearings in the worm gear-levelwind system, ,, that may assist longer casting also.. couldn't hurt. C4's...
    also, line will make a difference.
    I can cast my 7000's nicely, but, I use a fair amount of weight/bait.
    the 6500's do very well also.. all have bearings, and far outrun the ones I have that have the spool bushings.IMHO,,, Greg

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use 6500 for my carp fishing.I got a couple of C4,s in that fruity looking violet color that ................. had a few years back.I fish them side by side with my C3,s and I do get about an extra 10 yd,s with the same weight and line.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i am fishing for flatheads mostly from the bank. usually useing 2-3 oz. sinkers and large bluegills, rockbass, or trout for bait. this has all been done with spinning gear but looking to get into useing baitcasters.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    6500 Pro Rocket spooled with #65 power pro. Casts like a dream. Please keep one thing in mind, the rod is a major contributor to your casting distance. Good luck.

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Alton is right on both accounts.

The 6500 Pro Rocket, Mag Elite, Sports Mag, and CL/CS Rockets are all great reels that will likely have more casting potential than most of their users. The great thing about the Abu's is that you can modifiy them till your heart's content. You can get more distance or more control by changing out the oil in the bearings, or changing the bearings all together. You can upgrade the metal pawl to a ceramic and even get rid of that level wind if you need a little more distance or decide to loose the training wheels (j/k:wink:)

As Alton mentioned, you still have to match the rod to the situation.

10. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I recently bought some parts to upgrade my 6501c3 reels. After cleaning the first one thoroughly yesterday, using only a little bit of Cal's grease, and putting in ceramic bearings (leaving them dry) it now casts further than I've ever been able to cast a baitcaster before.

Maybe next time I'll upgrade the levelwind from bushings to bearings and get ceramic pawls.