Abu Garicia Ambassadeur 5600CB Fishing Reel - Your opinions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by r_bray89, Feb 2, 2006.

1. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I am thinking about getting this reel.

So if anyones has anycomments plz let me know?

Thanks ~Roger~

2. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

These first appeared at Wally World. Same as a 5500c3 except for the gear ratio and thumb bar. You want a well-built reel with a good drag. If you must get an Ambassadeur, at least get one with the carbon matrix drag. As with most Ambassadeurs, you still get the outdated frame design, and 2 plastic levelwind gears. These are sensitive. Over time, they WILL become brittle and break. Most likely the gears will lose 1 or 2 or more gear teeth. I have seen this in dozens of Ambassadeurs. When this happens, it's over. If you want to save $, get an Okuma reel. For less than $45 anywhere on the web, you can get a Nitrix series reel. It has a more advanced drag system than Ambassadeurs, a higher bearing count, and a 1pc Aluminum frame. And the levelwind gears are NOT plastic.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I do not own that reel , I do have and use several older ambassador 5500c, I have owned some of them for over 30yrs never had a problem with them. Regardless what you buy someone will tell you another reel is better.I say buy what you like, most all will do the job for you.

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Isn't that a B@$$ fishing reel??? LOL!!!! I'm not sure of the price on that, but you can get a 6000 for around $62 including tax at Wallyworld. I'd also ty E-bay and see what you can find. I got a brand new 6500C4 Highspeed for $40 including shipping from E-bay.

We can fill your head with all sorts of ideas, but in the long run, it comes down to what you are comfortable with, and what you can afford.

Ray

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Roger, it all depends on what you expect out of the reel. If you are after channels and such, the reel will do just fine, but if you are going to be catching 25# or bigger regularly, you would be better off with something like the 6000 series. I like having a bait clicker on my bait casters, though.
    I have 5000/5500 series reels here that in some cases are probably 25 years old, and I have caught cats up to about 25# on them, redfish in salt water up to about the same weight. I don't fish offshore, but if I did, I would have to buy something designed for that.
    They have never failed me. In fact, I've been fishing with various models of Abu's almost since back in the early 70's. I have caught fish from crappie size up to sharks in the 50-60# range. I have never had a failure in all those years, unless it was caused by lack of cleaning. When I hook a large fish, I let the rod and the line do the work, pump the fish, and keep the load off the reel as much as possible.
    I might add, I also own some bait casters by Penn, Shakespeare, Okuma, and a few others, but my very favorite are Abu Garcia. That's just my opinion after fishing for a half century.

6. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    thanks for all the advise
    i am wanting to put the reel on a whuoin stick and use it for bass and channels

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I'm with you on this one, Tommy. Abu's are my favorite also. That's most all I have used more than once, I like the way they feel to me, and work for me. My wife gave me a new 6500c4 for Christmas. I put Mason braid on it, 18lb turned the brake all the way open, little rattle, to much free run, it will cast a mile. Really a nice ree.

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

Last count I have 12 Ambassadeurs. NONE HAVE EVER FAILED, despite an "outdated frame" or nylon level wind gears. One 5000 is 40+ years old and caught more fish in salt as well as fresh water than I can remember, and it is still going strong.

I own Daiwas, Quantums, Shimanos, Penn, Shakespear, Mitchell, Zebco, and I still prefer ABU's. I use them all, but for hard use I go to the ABU's.

Everyone has opinions. Buy what you think will fit you, not someone else.
    Just my .02 worth after fishing 50 years.:)

If Money is a factor the Shakespear Tidewater reels are excellent quality for about $35-40.00 depending on where you buy them.

Frank

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i like the 5600 c5 mag reel I got on close out from catfish connection last year... it hasn't seen enough use to really test it's durability, but it's a smooth reel very nice to use. Of course, it's a huge step up from the cheaper shakespeare skp2000s I also have.

Shawn

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think for what you are going to use it for, it will do you proud. I have used ABU's for years and they have never let me down. You get the reel that "YOU" think is best for your situation brother!!! After all you are the one that has to use it !!!!

11. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

For heavier fish you may want to go with somethig with a lower ratio... if you want your reel to last, get one that can be upgraded with Abec ceramic bearings. They make a HUGE difference. Plus they are corrosion-proof, and in my opinion, way smoother than steel bearings. They will extend the life of the reel... for around $35.. that and some line-softner and you will be suprised..

12. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

I am glad you have had good luck with your Tidewaters. Mine was fine on a 28lb stingray.. stingray #2 @41lbs did the drag system in... right in the trash pile..

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    r_bray, Abu garcia is the way to go. I have five of them and never had a problem of any sort. I would go with a 6500 for channels, with atleast 20lb mono. If you get into targeting larger fish in the future you'll need the larger reel/clicker. The 5600 would be a good bass reel. I sent you a PM with a site where you might be able to get both. hope this helps.

14. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I use mine for Jigging for flats. Its a great reel. but for what you may do I would go to the 6000 series.

15. birdnest

birdnest New Member

I obviously have not been fishing as long as some of these old salts. I've only been at it ~35 years. For several years I made tons of mistakes and seems I have had more than my share of brands and models. I have fished fresh water from the Great Lakes in Michigan to Puget Sound, to Matagorda Bay and beach. The nastiest is that dirty salt but I do Love that Matty! My Ambassadors have always taken a beating and came back for more as long as I gave them a fair chance (maintenance-wise). I would also say the same for Penn's. Love my Shimano's too, but I kinda have to baby them.
    After being married and raising 6 kids and trying to do most of my fishing on the cheap, I always regretted it. (the cheap part, not the wife and kids)
    My best advice?
    Do your research, try out as many as you can, take notes, then...

BUY THE BEST ROD AND REEL YOU CAN AFFORD!!!!!

You won't regret it.
    Back off the drag and rinse them when you're done, lube em and clean them when they need it and your grandkids can inherit a well made reel like an ABU from you. Those Swiss folks make more than good watches and cheese.
    Good luck and tightlines,
    Birdnest