Abu garcia

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kingdawes, Aug 6, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    on a catmaxx 10' wich will throw further the 7000ic3 or the 6500?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Both are great reels, it would be a toss up to me!!!

3. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah thats kinda what I figured guess I will just experiment and see who wins!

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It usually takes about an ounce more weight with the 7000 to get the same distance as with the 6500. That's with the line size being the same. I usually use 25lb big game on my 7000s and 20lb on the 6500s though. I also have my 6500s on shorter rods and still get about the same distance as the 7000s on the long rods.

5. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok so I guess I will start out with my 6500 on the 8' ugly stik and the 7000 on the catmaxx 10'. I guess that will even them out. Then if I ever go any where and need some serious distance I will switch before. Well will see I can cast pretty far with 700 on the ugly cat. I usually use 2ounce of wait plus bait.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The hole I cast to (no boat access) is 130 yards. I use 4oz. on the 7000 with a 13'6" Lamiglas and 3oz. on the 6500 mounted on a 11'6" rod. If I'm fishing from the boat, I just use my 8' rod with my 6000.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I give the nod to the 6500, just a little.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with flathunter. I've got several 7000s and have thrown them for years, but lately have been leaning toward the 6500s more for alot of my fishing. They seem to be easier to throw with less rod and will crank in the size fish I seem to be able to catch. I'll use the bigger reels for the spoonbill or when I need alot of line.

9. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    so you think 10' is enought to get it out pretty far with the 7000. 100 is probably the most I would need to go

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got some 10' meathunters with 6500s on them but they'e kinda stiff and can only get about 80 or 90 yards. I've got a 10' ugly stick with a lighter action I mounted my 7000 on it once for fun and got around 100 yards or a little more. I think you'd be OK with that set up.I was actually just using a 2oz. sinker that time also, it really surprised me it went that far.

11. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks alot. do you know or like catmaxx

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never used one, don't like the two piece rods. I've seem alot of them break at the joint. I've got a couple I keep under the back seat of my truck for convenience, but don't use them unless I've got nothing else. I usually stick to the 1 piece meathunter, or preferably lamiglas. I did find the 10' ugly stick one piece at the shop that builds my rods. It's kinda light for catfishing, but great for stripers! Sure will cast a couple jigs with a 2oz. sinker a long ways!!!!!!!!!!

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the catmax rods, but treat them very easy the eyes are pretty flimsy and bend eaisly.

14. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    They don't have those rods up here in my area, but either of those reels will cast equally far with the appropriate weight.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep, I had the heavy action rod and had three eyelets break on the first trip with it. Pretty crappy to buy a friggin' $50 rod and have it break before you can even catch a fish on it. Oh well, I guess that's just the way things happen.

16. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah that does suck. I am kinda rough on rods as it is. I think I might try to get one of those meat hunters. Seems like they will stand up to the test of the king lol.

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you get the white meathunter, they come with stainless or chrome eyes. Nothing really to break on them. My nephew has two white meathunters, and has torn up his reel, but not the rods. He's ROUGH on equipment. If they can stand up to him, then they should stand up to just about anything.

18. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    id like to have them both but i say give it a pretty good cast and they would be pretty close.

19. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well one thing is for sure, I know that however fart they cast I hope that I hear those screamin clickers. I like that.

Oh yeah above that was a typo but I realized I didn't want to change it

20. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.