Abu Garcia worm gears and pawls

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by wishiwasfishin, Mar 9, 2006.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it seems like evey year i have to change them out on a couple reels.does everybody else have this problem?

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Nope I've never even had to replace a pawl on any of my ABU's, and some are over 20 years old. I do put a tiny drop of oil on the worm gear about once a month.

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Same here, got some pushing 20 years old.
    Question: Are you a boat or bank fisherman, primarily?
    Just wonder if bank fishing subjects gear to more grit thereby resulting in shorter life of components.

Scott

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    How much plastic is inside a Abu?

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Have had my abu's for years and have never had a problem. I clean my reels about 4 times a year, I know it's overkill but I've never had a problem with them.

6. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i fish from the bank and it seems all the time one of them little buggers are going out. i take my reels apart before eash year and give them good cleaning and i put oil on them ever so often...maybe i need to get some new oil..i use rem oil on everthing but maybe i need something different.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have the same exact problem! i mostly bankfish and i think they just get more dirt and sand in there. i also have some boat combo's that i never use any other place and i have never had worm-gear problems with them. im very bad at cleaning my reels regularly but im gonna try to start doing a better job this year. i have had my (bank fishing) 6500's for over 15 years and i think i have changed the worm gears/pawls about 7 times each! then again, it could be that i catch so many fish that i simply just wear them out too fast:D :D

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Cleaning my reels 4 times a year is'nt overkill then. I've had people tell me I was cleaning them to much. Oh I use army weapons oil,I get it at the army surplus.

9. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    ok..yeah thats my problem..lol

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have an abu 5000 I bought in 1963 for $17.00. Still works. Of course, like me, it is retired now and I have moved on to bigger and better things.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Only problems Ive had out of my 6500's is what I caused. Messed something up in one of mine last time I cleaned them. Gonna send them off to Abu Garcia to have them clean and fix them.

12. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I have a 5000 I bought new in 1964 gave $19.00 for it and it still works like a champ and like you and yours me and mine are retired too.
    I currently own 23 ABU baitcasters and I'm only having trouble with 1.

13. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Same problem here. The reel repair man here in my town told me that the problem usually begins at the prawl since that is the piece that is always under friction. Then when the prawl starts hanging it can cause damage to the worm gear and the plastic cog wheel that turns the worm gear. All three things I just had replaced. He recommended that I replace the prawl every year since I fish an average of two to three times a week. He explained that if the prawl is kept new other problems can usually be avoided.

Also, I asked him about why the cog wheel is plastic. According to him it is a good thing the cog wheel is plastic. The reason, he explained, is that the damage caused by a bad prawl stops at the cog wheel. If it were metal then the damage could continue on into the main drive of the reel. If that goes out then you might as well get a new reel. So according to this guy the plastic is actually a safety mechanism that protects the most vital and expensive parts of the reel.