Abu garcia vs Penn reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DELLIS, Oct 21, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ok i have used both which model does everyone use and why cost,quality,convience, etc.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, we are opening the can of worms now. It is simply a matter of personal preference. The abu guy's are not gonna like a Penn, and the Penn guys will not like an Abu. Choice, it all boils down to choice.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I feel that they both have thier place in the food chain. I own both for different conditions fished.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Both are good reels. It also depends on which Abu and which Penn you are talking about. I like my Abu 6500 and 5600, less so my Abu 6600D5. I'd probably get a 7000c3 if casting from shore, put it on a 12 ft rod for below the dam work. But, then, I might get a Penn to, lower cost and it'll do the job well. Its just that in the price range of the 7000, the Abu casts better. Penn also has fallen on some hard times. I just hope they'll be around for a while.

Oh, then there are the spinning reels. I like Penn spinners, they are tough, but the Shimano baitrunners are fine reel there, wouldn't have anything Abu sells in a spinning rig.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I like Abu Casting reels. but I think Penn makes some nice reels.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan the 7000c3 is very good reel. I also likethe Penn 320 LD. These have done a fine job for me. If I were to lose or break I would replace with the same. I don't use spinning reels.To much of a headache. Good Fishing

7. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I use Penn 330 gti reels and Abu 7000c3 reels both are great reels. I like the Penn reels a little better because they hold more line and seem to be more durable.The 7000c3 does cast a lot better, and seems to be a more precise reel.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Have Both And I Prefer The Abu's Over The Penn's Simply Because They Cast Alot Better And Are Smoother Casting. I Fish From The Bank So I Like A Smooth Casting Reel.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I'll second that!

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have to go with the ABU for baitcasting reels if for no other reason than that is what I was "raised" on. Spinning reels I like my daiwa reels though. Cost does play into my decision but only to a certain extent. If I want something I am willing to wait and do without than to buy something to get by on.

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I love Penns, but then again I don't bank fish much, and I see casting distance as being the biggest plus with abu's. But in all honest my favorite reel and the one I use almost exclusively is my Shimano Calcutta 700.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Gotta vote for the Penns only because thats all I own. Can cast mine as far as I need to and they have a better drag system than the abu reels.

13. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I own all ABU's for my baitcasters but i do have 2 penn spinning rods that i wouldn't take anything for. They are both outstanding IMHO.

Wheelmobile07

14. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    I have mostly Abus but I do have a GTI310 that I also use. It is not quite as user friendly but a very quality piece. Wife and I fish with 4 rods and the GTI will stay in the satrting line up. They both great and durability on either brand is really not an issue for me. I do have a Jigmaster 500 that all i can do is birdnest. It is an early 1960's vintage that I still have the original box and everything that came with it so I prefer not to use it anyway. The Penn Abu deal in my opinion is another Ford Chevy deal. Just by a Dodge and who cars who is in second place anyway
    Tight Lines
    Danny J

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Penn's are WAY tougher then any Abu reel is. But I agree with Big George, they both have a place and I always match mine to my fishing situation. Now if I'm in Saltwater then I always prefer my Penn's, but in freshwater it depends on how big of fish I'm going for and how much weight I have to use, etc.

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The drag on the Penn's work better and last longer than the abu's.I never use my Penn for plug casting because the abu's are smother and lighter to be making a lot of cast.Burned the drag off my abu in about a week of kings while fishing the gulf.The Penn is the better choice for bait fishing.
    Jake

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I caught a 23lb Kingfish on my Abu 6000 and it has been pretty much worthless since then!:eek:oooh:

18. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    i like them both,if i can catch a big blue on it,then its a nice real

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I like my ABUs, 2 c3s, and 2 big game all in 7000. The largest flathead I've caught was 44lbs. But I've taken lots of 30 and 40 lb range fish on them. I don't keep my drag tight I leave it sorta medium and use my thumb as my drag. I love the way they cast smooth every time. Retrieve smooth, drag is smooth. Plus they just look more pleasing to me. Penns are great on abuse though especially saltwater, they can take it. My father in-law and his brother live in Plymouth Mass. and haved fished the atlantic for the last 40 years with the same penn reels they started with. They are scarred and pitted but they still reel in fish. (The reels I mean) lol.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like them both But if its setting in a :lol: rack and never used its no good at all