Abu Garcia Torno

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by sneezer, Jun 8, 2007.

1. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    Anyone have one of these? I'm having trouble getting it setup correctly.
    The instructions are vague and I don't know if you are to put the centrifical brakes on the spool or not. It has a mag brake but it doesn't seem to give me consistant results. Any help would be appreciated.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't have experience with the Torno, but I think it's like the other reels that have the fine adjustments on the left side.

First, put the magnetic adjustment control on "0", then adjust your spool tension knob for the heaviest bait you will throw. Adjust it till the spool will stop when the bait hits the ground. Then, when you put on a lighter bait, you can control it by the dial on the magnetic control. You can get used to were it needs to be set by what weight bait you have on with time from memory.

Hope this helps.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I would like to take some time out and talk about this.....I've noticed that these big reel companies don't seem to care whether you learn how to operate a reel or not....It seems that they don't believe "novices" can buy their equipment....It comes with just enough information in the "operateing manual" to get you into trouble....They do a poor job of explaining what's what on their reels....I'm just getting into the "baitcasting" scene again and it can be "confusing", to say the least, when you take one of these things out of the box.....It would be nice for them to have a place on their website that goes into detail about their reels/rods and how they function......Information is a "pet peave" of mine....I sent Abu Garcia a message, "cleaning their plow" about their site....Everything about the site only pertains to the "next" dollar they will make.....Does anyone know a site that deals with the Abu Garcia baitcaster and details on how it functions and how to "maintain" the reel.....Dwight

4. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    I got to agree with you there Dwight....and this was no cheap reel! I bought a D5 also....same luck!