Abu Garcia Sweden or China?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by firechief4201, Mar 7, 2008.

1. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    When in a W- superstore I noticed that they had a garcia reel there and it was made in China, But all of mine back home was made in Swenden. Does anyone know what is going on?:confused2:

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    alot of reel companys are doing that they send alot of production over seas but they still make their most expensive reels in house i know penn does that the only reels they make in house is their saltwater reels i dont like it either so if you want a reel actually made by that company you better be ready to drop a couple hundred dollars

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    This reel was a wmart exclusive. Had a sticker on it that if you see the product being sold other than a wmart please call.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    From what I can tell the 6000, some of the 6500's, the 9000 and the 10000 are still made in Sweden. I'm sure some other models are still made there too, this is just what I seen so far.

5. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    What reel model was it? 4600, 5500, 6000 ect. I want to be on the lookout if I run across one. Doug

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I won't buy one unless it says "made in Sweden" on it.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep and I will take my China made 7000ic3 over a sweeden reel.

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    my 2 6500c3 from 2 years ago have Sweden Stamped on them. But my 7000ic3 had a china sticker on the bottom of it. Didn't see till after the deal was made. I gave it a good look over and can't see any problems. Gonna have to see how she does on the water.
    thanks
    larry

9. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I noticed that the wallyworld ones 5600bcx/6600bcx's are all made in china, but i did find a few black 5000's on poles as a combo that were stamped sweden, they are going for 34 bucks, didnt know if they were worth it or not. I've noticed also that those wallyworld specials are all over ebay selling for way more than what you pay for them in stores...

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    as far as i have heard the reels marked chine ... at least with the stickers like the 7000ic3 are assembled in china but all the parts are still made in sweden and shipped over for less expense on assembly, the ones that are stamped china are made there, at least thats what i read some where, hope this helps you

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with, Griz.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    quality is # 1..A ABU dealer here at bull frog creek said that they sent that part of the company over to china for cheaper prices..:confused2:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ones i seen from china was a black reel rod combo. i wont buy it. rods are chinese but aint to many that arent. i will not buy an abu unless its the sweeden ones. other than the 5000 i havent seen another one made in china. if i wanted chinese ide buy a shakesphere.

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the 6600bcx is made in china looked at one the other day at wal-mart

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I just bought one from Wal-Mart on 3-10-08, and it was marked made in Sweden. I checked to make sure. I think that, you just have to check them out. I like the 6000 better than the 6500. The 6000 has a metal line guide. The 6500 that I looked at, had a line guide made out of plastic. I like the metal guide better.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    wal mart does sell swedish abus. ive gotton all mine there. its the new combo and assume there selling the reel seprate too but not here. one i seen was black 5000. i got 2 6500 cl3's a 6600d5 and 5500 at walmart. all swedish.